The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

in E Major (only for guitarists)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a beautiful sound! That’s a wonderful take on one of my favorite tunes. Thanks, Mark.

User Info Menu

Lovely playing Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    What a beautiful sound! That’s a wonderful take on one of my favorite tunes. Thanks, Mark.
    Thanks for commenting! I’m never sure if these posts get any viewing so the feedback is appreciated. I mean, it’s sometimes a “why bother” and the encouragement helps keep it going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Lovely playing Mark
    . Thanks for watching and letting me know!

User Info Menu

Mark, that was absolutely gorgeous and one of my favorite tunes.

And I have to say that particular recording really demonstrates the intent of the Hafling guitar design. The bass strings really do sound a lot like a flat top and the high strings sound like an arch top. It's a beautiful combination!

Also, why not put things in guitar friendly keys? Johnny Smith and Joe Pass did it! Most standards are in keys that are convenient for horn players, so when we don't have horns why not make life easier for ourselves? Bruce Forman has an amusing story of playing with Barney Kessel; he had a spot for a solo feature and chose Round Midnight, playing it in Eb minor like usual. On stage, in front of the audience, Barney presented him with the logic for playing it in E minor on the guitar; Monk put it in Eb minor because it was convenient to solo on using only the black keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Mark, that was absolutely gorgeous and one of my favorite tunes.

And I have to say that particular recording really demonstrates the intent of the Hafling guitar design. The bass strings really do sound a lot like a flat top and the high strings sound like an arch top. It's a beautiful combination!

Also, why not put things in guitar friendly keys? Johnny Smith and Joe Pass did it! Most standards are in keys that are convenient for horn players, so when we don't have horns why not make life easier for ourselves? Bruce Forman has an amusing story of playing with Barney Kessel; he had a spot for a solo feature and chose Round Midnight, playing it in Eb minor like usual. On stage, in front of the audience, Barney presented him with the logic for playing it in E minor on the guitar; Monk put it in Eb minor because it was convenient to solo on using only the black keys.
    Thanks! When I first started messing around with this tune last week I found myself playing it in lots of different keys (within each take) as I wandered about the tune. Years ago I played it with vocalists in Bb as I recall but never as a solo guitar piece. I was starting to settle into Eb but I kept moving into F and going back and forth. I couldn’t decide, so E was split the difference then after a bit it was like these E strings being open can be pretty cool.

User Info Menu

Wonderful sound and fine playing :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    Wonderful sound and fine playing :-)
    Thank you kind sir!

User Info Menu

That was a real pleasure to hear and see. Thank you for posting it.

User Info Menu

Even if I could still play 22 years until I was 100, I wouldn’t get to your level.
    You are an real fantastic artist .
    I hope, as a former doctor, that you have completely recovered from your biceps injury
    cheers
    Emil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    That was a real pleasure to hear and see. Thank you for posting it.
    thanks for listening and commenting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    Even if I could still play 22 years until I was 100, I wouldn’t get to your level.
    You are an real fantastic artist .
    I hope, as a former doctor, that you have completely recovered from your biceps injury
    cheers
    Emil
    Thanks Emil, that’s very humbling praise. I really just do what comes to me and have all kinds of weaknesses that I mostly work around and cover up. The latest being the mechanical workings of an aging musculoskeletal system. The biceps tendon surgery from this time last year seems fully recovered but I’ve got some residual tingling and pain in my fingers along with general stiffness and aches. And that’s my right hand. On my left I managed to get some tennis elbow about 6 weeks ago that’s improving but that hand gets achy too. So doc, aren’t you glad you asked?? My wife calls me grumpy so I try not to be a complainer. But you brought it up (thank you) so there it is. Anyways, it’s past my bedtime now and I have ambition to record something in the morning and I know a hot shower will at least temporarily make me young again