The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a solo arrangement of one of my current favorite tunes to improvise on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's lovely! There is a flow and a dialogue between Wayne and Herbie (melody/harmony) that makes this piece special. You've captured that really nicely. Thanks for posting this!

User Info Menu

lovely!
    my contribution to this tune

User Info Menu

Nice, thanks for sharing, Emil!

In light of your bold sound, I'll add a note: I've totally changed my sound over the past year, both harmonically and in terms of gear -- and I now sound a little more like you.

Previously I favored more of a bebop style with a fairly dry archtop tone. But as I've been studying modern players and harmonies, my gear has evolved as well. I'm now using primarily semihollowbodies through a dual delay with just a little reverb. I find the added sustain and resonance help to highlight the harmonies.

I'd be eager to hear your thoughts on my sound in this video as well as anything you've learned on your journey that you'd like to share.

User Info Menu

Ok dfClark,I'll tell you.

Your new sound is pleasant and highlight your harmonies (although I did also appreciate your playing posts before on this forum).

My story,as you asked :
    When I came as free student in the night cursus of the jazz conservatory, already 45 years old, (I was a Endocrinologist,hospital practitioner),I had listened and played rock and pop before, but I was intrigued by the jazz harmony.

My teacher was a bebop purist ; in a summer jazz course organised by the conservatory ,a student asked him ih he wanted a bit chorus on his amp and the teacher argued: "never before the evening meal"

So, I was forced to play "dry" during those years of jazz training. After, I returned to the sounds I hear in my head, with sustain, chorus and a long reverb.
    I met one day a danish jazz teacher who said :I like the long reverb you use on your recordings,it seems to add a background tapestry to your sound
    cheers
    Emil
    Last edited by emilP; 11-15-2022 at 04:49 AM.