The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I practice I like to take a good song and explore, discover, and accumulate what I call "figures" in the sense of "things I have figured out". The nature of these figures is that their application may usually be extended generally to parts of other songs. Angel Eyes is one of them I come back to over and over; it offers an excellent source of ideas and discoveries.

Looking and listening to your right hand I'm wondering if you ever play with just your thumb, like Wes Montgomery?

I'm wondering if you ever play with just your thumb, like Wes Montgomery?

Years ago..
    The guitar professor told me to stop that immediately and to play with a pick !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP

Years ago..
    The guitar professor told me to stop that immediately and to play with a pick !
    I'm thinking that professor failed to recognize your advantage; the motions of your right hand are much more naturally "thumb like" than "pick like". Most jazz guitarists would love to have a great thumb playing technique, but can't get it and so settle for a pick, hybrid, or semi-classical approach.

Wow!
    • thanks for your remarks !
    • I never realised that I had facilities for a thumb technique..will have a try!