The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone familiar?Just ran across this book after 40+ years hidden in the closet. Is it a worthwhile study method?
    Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a very basic and old-fashioned method, nothing like jazz. You'll learn to harmonise Little Brown Jug and similar, and learn something in the process. It does get a bit more advanced than I'm making out, but really there are better books for chord melody on the market, even from Mel Bay.

User Info Menu

I actually picked that up decades ago and it was my first introduction to "chord-melody" and I learned a ton from it. It rigorously covers the chord types used in all harmonic contexts and harks back to the old "orchestral guitar" tradition. It used folk songs to skirt around copyright problems and a lot of it is rote work, but I liked it and still have a copy of it. Rob is right it's not specifically jazz, but more of a general purpose guitar manual for putting chords under melodic lines in ways that capture the harmonic motion, often in great detail.

Thanks for the replies. It was from my first teacher in 1981 .... He was a cool guy but i needed a more youthful approach so i found another equally cool albeit younger teacher only to give up guitar. I've been working on the the classical leavitt book and the method books too. Also, the bop duets by Bowers.
    Having fun starting these again

I