The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm finally learning how to plug in jazz chords that I've learned, and to learn jazz chord melody songs. I was having doubts at first and was becoming frustrated with the pace of my progress. Especially with transcribing. But after transcribing 4 or 5 songs it has started getting a little easier. I'm now learning to plug in the chords I've learned and come up with whole songs. I can use my ears to distinguish which chords sound right and which chords don't...which chords "fit" and which ones don't. The more songs you transcribe the better and quicker you get at it. However, that's not to say all songs get easier. I've transcribed songs that took me a half an hour and some that have taken me a month or more.

I am slowly but steadily building my jazz chord melody repertoires with each song I learn. So far I've completely (or partially) learned "How Great Thou Art", "Satin Doll", "Lil Darlin", "Avalon", "Autumn Leaves", and "Bag's Groove". I do need to stick with one song at a time. I have a habit of working on multiple songs simultaneously. I'm going to start concentrating on one song at a time. It can be frustrating if you take too big of a bite. However, I'm beginning to realize that learning chord melodies is not quite as difficult as I thought it would be. It's certainly not easy. But, after transcribing 2 or 3 songs it's already getting a little less challenging. There are definitely more difficult songs to transcribe but I've proven I can learn jazz chord melody songs.

I'm having similar success with improvising. I can hear lead lines, sing them in my head, find them on the guitar, and play them. If I get stuck and can't find phrasing I like or that fits, I go to arpeggios for help.

Anyway, I'm feeling good about my progress. I've wanted to be a really good jazz guitar player since I started playing guitar in 1961. Well, I'm a little late getting started but...better late than never.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 08-26-2022 at 07:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Awesome!
    It sounds like you're on the path.
    It's a path I am trying to find, after playing and gigging as a rock guitarist for close to 50 years.
    I'm now ready to move on~
    I need help! i'm all over the place, but mostly 'l@@king for a path'!
    I don't mind being pointed; hint, hint!

User Info Menu

You say “transpose” - do you mean “transcribe”?

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    You say “transpose” - do you mean “transcribe”?

Yes, yes, yes!!! Sorry about that. I'll make the appropriate corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregc57
    Awesome!
    It sounds like you're on the path.
    It's a path I am trying to find, after playing and gigging as a rock guitarist for close to 50 years.
    I'm now ready to move on~
    I need help! i'm all over the place, but mostly 'l@@king for a path'!
    I don't mind being pointed; hint, hint!
    Greg, I'm not an experienced jazz player or music teacher (of any kind). But the first thing I recommend you do when studying jazz is learn the prerequisite 17 or so jazz chords. That is a key that will open the door to chord melody playing. Learning those 17 chords will allow you to transcribe most jazz standards.

The second thing I would do is get very familiar with this website. It is outstanding. There is soooooo much knowledge here. Knowledge that will benefit beginners to highly experienced professional players. Although it is preferable to have a good jazz guitar instructor, this website can take a novice all the way to being a pro.

So, dig into the Jazz Guitar Online website and forum. There is an incredible amount of information here, even if you don't go outside the JGO website. There is also a lot of free information that, if you go outside JGO, it would cost you a significant amount of money. Occasionally there will even be "big name" players peek in on this website.

OK, so far? Another thing you'll need to learn are the basic arpeggios which are helpful in learning to improvise. Tim Lerch, top notch guitar player and teacher, suggested learning just the 4 note, condensed, versions of the arpeggios. I confess I haven't spent a lot of time with arpeggios and scales. I've worked on arpeggios but I don't have them down cold. Same with scales. Working on scales and arpeggios will help you with improvising. Especially arpeggios. Transcribing songs will help you to put those jazz chords to work.

Find some of the simpler songs to transcribe like "Satin Doll" and "Autumn Leaves". You'll find both songs and many others under the Chord Melody section of the forum. Learn to navigate to the various sub-forums. Lots of info there. You'll find sections for not only chord melody playing but improvisation, jazz guitars, jazz amps, and accessories, songs, the band stand, and many other subjects. You can easily map out your own course of study.

Well, I hope that helps. Gotta get busy on my chord melodies. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    ...the first thing I recommend you do when studying jazz is learn the prerequisite 17 or so jazz chords. That is a key that will open the door to chord melody playing. Learning those 17 chords will allow you to transcribe most jazz standards.
    Which 17 chords might those be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonblazer
    Which 17 chords might those be?

They're listed on this website home page under "Comping, Chords and Chord Progressions" and "Chord Melody". Follow those two sub-forums and they'll take you to the most used 17+ jazz chords. There are actually more than 17 jazz chords. But the 17 most used are listed along with those used the least. There are chords with the root on the 6th string, those with the root on the 5th string and those with the root on the 4th string. And there are arpeggios and scales for those chords. I hope I stated that correctly. Since I'm new to this myself it would be more accurate to have you find those chords on the website sub-forums vs me listing them and not getting it right. Strings6 nailed it.

I listed a link to a good jazz guitar chord lesson on one of Rick Beato's Youtube channels. It also includes the arpeggios for each of the chords.

User Info Menu

the most basic and necessary steps to have a firm foundation in melodic playing is fully knowing the major/minor scales and their harmonization

learning the basic triads and their inversions on all string sets and positions..in open and close voicings..then the same study in four note chords IN ALL KEYS

yes this will take some time and alot of practice..but you now will have full knowledge of the fretboard

taking this knowledge into the next step..creating harmonic progressions with each scale..and then tunes!

Ted Greene has a vast amount of material on his site Tedgreene.com

There are many songs and progression studies and lessons in harmony in basic and advanced theory

hope this helps