The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Emil,
    I'm going to give you an honest criticism which, perhaps, is why you have so little feedback from our group on your numerous musical posts. I've tuned in on occasion and there was always something that prevented me from listening to more than a few bars of your music. And, I didn't feel it was, necessarily, musical, but something else. So, I listened to your music today without watching the video and realized, at least for me, that your persona when reading the music is a distraction to your performance. We don't need to see you . . . only listen to your music. I think when it appears you are reading the music, it somehow affects how people perceive your performance irrespective of your playing. At least, that how it works for me. I hope you take this with the best intentions and respect for you as a person and as a player. Why not try a recording vs a video next time. I will hold my musical remarks for a later post. I hope you take my remarks with the sincerest intentions.
    Marinero

Eh eh
    when I was young, people said ( at least girls)that I was a beautiful young men..but now I’m on my 78 ,so I understand it's not very interesting to see my face reading the music.

I have take the habit to write and read my improvisations ,cause I learned music a long time with classical musicians.
    So, that’s perhaps not real improv but variations on the main theme..not a jazz attitude,I fear ?

Please,do not lose your time in another post to criticise my reverberated sound,it does please me and I will not change it.

As for improving my style with your advices in a next post,it's too late,my friend! My shoulders are becoming more and more stiff,by severe bilateral arthrosis,and my hands by a carpal tunnel syndrome

sincerely yours
    Emil
    Last edited by emilP; 07-30-2022 at 06:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    Eh eh
    when I was young, people said ( at least girls)that I was a beautiful young men..but now I’m on my 78 ,so I understand it's not very interesting to see my face reading the music.

I have take the habit to write and read my improvisations ,cause I learned music a long time with classical musicians.
    So, that’s perhaps not real improv but variations on the main theme..not a jazz attitude,I fear ?

Please,do not lose your time in another post to criticise my reverberated sound,it does please me and I will not change it.

As for improving my style with your advices in a next post,it's too late,my friend! My shoulders are becoming more and more stiff,by severe bilateral arthrosis,and my hands by a carpal tunnel syndrome

sincerely yours
    Emil
    Hi, Emil,
    Thank you for your honest reply and again, my response, was in no way, intended as negative or to be hurtful. There was a great Jazz piano player who used to play in the house band at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. His name was Stu Katz and he was a monster. However, whenever he played, he always stuck his tongue out and most people found it very distracting. . . myself included. So, whenever he was playing, I watched the other musicians because it was a distraction from his music. Perhaps, to a lesser extent, this is the same thing I feel when I have watched your videos. However, I wasn't aware you're not interested in musical feedback(why most people post?) and that you are happy with your playing style and performance. So, good luck with your music and thank you, again, for your honest reply.
    Marinero

dear friend

after more than forty years of studying jazz and harmony, I no longer need feedback on how I play.. except maybe, if your name was Paul Desmond,Ed Bickert, or Jim Hall.

I put music on this site just hoping that someone will enjoy listening to me.

By the way, I don’t remember hearing you play once on this forum.

I would be interested to hear what you can do

cheers

Emil

User Info Menu

"after more than forty years of studying jazz and harmony, I no longer need feedback on how I play."
    EmilP

Hi, Emil,
    It's apparent you are a consummate Jazz musician and that needs to be respected. Good luck with your future musical projects.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I like watching your videos, Emile, as you have some the best knitwear! And, for the record, the first Roxy Music album is the best

Your playing is always worth listening to - as here - so keep it up.

The odd thing about commenting is how quickly we run out of words for praise, but negative criticism is a bottomless well. In a more positive world it would be the other way round.

I used to get “helpful” and “sincere” comments about how I look on screen, how I should get a haircut, or at least comb my hair, and “don’t talk, we can’t understand your accent”. When I showed I couldn’t give a damn about either their opinions or how I looked, those guys stopped coming around. The rest just come for the music.

Keep it up!

Thanks Rob!
    I’m not angry with Marinero.I understand that’s boring for some people to watch an old man,eyes on the screen.
    That’s cause ,when I play,I read my impros.I discovered one day - with the help of a musician of classical music-that I could better express myself by writing what I felt about the theme of a song.

Jim Hall himself did do that: I have a chart with 3 chorus he writed completely over Polkadodots and moonbeans when he played with Desmond

cheers old chap, to like my music and my knitwear’s