Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Dare mo shiranai
    not a song but, sad none the less
    Dare mo shiranai (2004)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Charles Mingus...Goodbye pork pie hat. One of the greatest and saddest jazz songs
    ever written

User Info Menu

"I'm so lonesome, I could cry". Good ol' wasted Hank Sr. Whenever me and Buckwheat play that on trombone and accordian, people have tears in their eyes.

I like to play Ol' man river as a sad tune (which is how it was written) but I'd still like to do the Martin Taylor high speed walking bass version.

User Info Menu

I nominate "The Girl From Ipanema".
    My father was quite agitated when he'd hear "Strange Fruit" His family had been run out of the South by the Ku Klux Klan, and came to Chicago with just the clothes on their backs; I mean absolutely NOTHING. That song hit a little too close to home for him, so there are degrees of "sadness" to all our nominations depending on your experiences. Songs like "Lush Life" or "Solitude", about being alone and bored and jaded, so to speak, sound kinda pale next to "Strange Fruit"??

User Info Menu

James, I think you've highlighted that a song resonates most with a listener depending on his/her experiences. When you hear your own personal loss, defeat, fears, blues, disappointment, heartbreak etc. expressed by someone else, you have the strongest reaction to that song (or novel, poem, movie...)

User Info Menu

Yep, and I think that's how and why you make a song "your own". Calling a song a "sad" song is a lot deeper than just the notes and words a composer writes.

User Info Menu

Autumn In New York
    a great tune.
    Last edited by markf; 05-07-2010 at 01:59 PM.