The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

We are here in a jazz guitar forum.

Many gently people ,that I appreciate,show us how to play a jazz melody with picks or fingers.
    I think it’s not really the purpose of such a forum.
    We are interested to hear how people can show us how they will then improvise on the melodic harmony of the tune they played
    the essence of jazz !
    Am I not right ?
    Last edited by emilP; 05-22-2022 at 03:36 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP

Many gently people ,that I appreciate,show us how to play a jazz melody with picks or fingers.
    We are interested to hear how people can show us how they will then improvise on the melodic harmony of the tune they played
    the essence of jazz !
    Am I not right ?
    I think there is lots of room for us to express our jazz interests in multiple ways. Sharing our enthusiasm for the art in its many facets is half the fun. Getting heard, either improvising or playing the notes is vital to our existence. Improvisation is the essence of jazz, as you say, but not its entirety. It is all good. Thank you for your thoughts, and your always-stimulating playing!

User Info Menu

Hi, E,
    Many who have struggled and "woodshedded" for years are not always generous in sharing their musical discoveries. The ones who do, usually, discover their "creativity" on some Youtube tutorial or from a "How To" book. Forget about others. Close the door. Open your guitar case and start playing songs. You might be surprised what you'll find when you're not looking for it.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

the essence of jazz !
    Am I not right ?
    Do you mean improvising in a chord-melody style?

In whatever style

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, E,
    Many who have struggled and "woodshedded" for years are not always generous in sharing their musical discoveries. The ones who do, usually, discover their "creativity" on some Youtube tutorial or from a "How To" book. Forget about others. Close the door. Open your guitar case and start playing songs. You might be surprised what you'll find when you're not looking for it.
    Marinero
    Your assertion seems a little too short,M
    I’m discovered harmony and how to improvise since more than 40 years, listening to other people ,playing with other people, learning with experienced people ,teaching and discussing with students, LEARNING FROM STUDENTS,reading tutorials, books,looking to ytube..

Maybe we have a inner faculty to create music when we are not looking for it, but with no any previous background,I doubt this leads to interesting results

User Info Menu

This particular subforum is about chord melody, but as far as I see it the parent forum is (mainly! *) about anything related to "jazz guitar". Which can involve playing jazz on a guitar, jazz played on a guitar or even "the kind of guitar [typically] used for playing jazz". The latter is my main reason for joining here when I started to be interested in archtops.

Now, about chord melody ... that's a technique which encompasses much more than just jazz, no? (As in, aren't most melodies built up from chords?)

*) there are subforums for classical guitar and "other styles"...

User Info Menu

It’s not surprising that people often post ‘chord melody’ arrangements to begin with, without going on to do the much more difficult part i.e. improvising in a solo guitar style. Generally I think that’s something most people get into later.

Can’t say it bothers me too much, although I do prefer to hear some improvisation if possible.
    Last edited by grahambop; 05-24-2022 at 08:54 AM.

User Info Menu

In whatever style
    It's easy:
    Good hearing and composing skills and you can start your adventure with jazz.

User Info Menu

It takes me a few days to build up an arrangement, and I feel like that's an achievement on it's own. There is no need to put people down because you are more advanced.

User Info Menu

the essence of jazz !
    Am I not right ?
    I like hearing it all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It takes me a few days to build up an arrangement, and I feel like that's an achievement on it's own. There is no need to put people down because you are more advanced.
    It was a mental shortcut-error misunderstood.
    I write based on my experience with learning jazz.
    I've always been interested in creativity - I couldn't play the piano but I tried to create some "pseudo" jazz lines.
    With time, I started buying books, but before that I trained my hearing and playing the double bass in a music school.
    Then I was educated at a music school and received a classical guitarist diploma.
    Jazz was my hobby and with time I started to play serious jazz concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    we are all beginners one day !
    The only thing I wanted to say is that I wonder why so many people with good arrangement never make at least one chorus of improvisation after the exposition of the theme

User Info Menu

we are all beginners one day !
    The only thing I wanted to say is that I wonder why so many people with good arrangement never make at least one chorus of improvisation after the exposition of the theme
    That's a very good question.
    This is just my guess.
    To improvise jazz, you need a lot of theoretical and practical knowledge.
    You can ask whether playing head alone is jazz music?
    Last edited by kris; 05-25-2022 at 12:07 AM.

User Info Menu

about the forum: In this forum, there a lot of discussion about the topic you are interested, improvistatiom. Actually more information an thoughts than any other forum. Why would anyone complain, just because there chord melody arrangements, archtop build, gear, and other topics too?

about improvisation: the primary goal is to create jazz music what at least the performer, better case the family, friends, and ultimately other people enjoy. A big part of this is chord melody, with the big benefit, that in any occasion (campfire :-) it can be performed, only a single guitar is the requirement. That could be jazz, even the improvisation has not emphasized in it.

User Info Menu

If someone is playing arranged head then it's just a head of a jazz standard.

User Info Menu

I can think of at least 1 classical (baroque) composer who's scores are full of passages that are written-out diminutions or solos that the man himself would probably have been able to improvise on the spot. In fact, a fugue is by definition a multi-voiced improvisation on a theme.
    Does that mean you're not playing a fugue when you play one from a score (and put your soul into it)? Or that you're not playing Bach or Corelli (or ...) if you're not replacing anything that looks like it must be improvised by an improvisation of your own?

Or take an orchestra like Campus Five. Do we agree that they play (some form of) jazz? I'd be even more impressed if they do find the possibility to insert real ad-libitum improvised solos that are really different each time around, all while keeping the dancers going without surprising them.

User Info Menu

Classical music is classical music and jazz is jazz.
    Completely different requirements from musicians - just different worlds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s not surprising that people often post ‘chord melody’ arrangements to begin with, without going on to do the much more difficult part i.e. improvising in a solo guitar style. Generally I think that’s something most people get into later.

Can’t say it bothers me too much, although I do prefer to hear some improvisation if possible.
    Hi, G,
    I don't see a hierarchy of Jazz performance where a chord/melody ballad is lesser in value than the "more difficult part" of "improvising in a solo guitar style." One can listen to ballads played by Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Gene Ammons, Kenny Burrell, Wes, ,etc. that have more meat and potatoes than the sheets of sound/atonalism that Coltrane and Miles were addicted to during their intellectual wanderings or the cacophony of say, Archie Shepp. However, I do agree, to a degree, with your second statement as a matter of genre. Here's vocalist Kurt Elling with pianist extraordinaire Harold Mabern for your listening pleasure.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Classical music is classical music and jazz is jazz.
    Completely different requirements from musicians - just different worlds.
    You must have missed the fact that I wasn't talking about classical music in general, but I realise that it may not have been explicitly clear that I always assume a period performance ("HIP") context.

A good part of the music of that day (basically everything we'd call "chamber music" nowadays) served a purpose and required a spirit & technical approach that is probably less different from current-day "light music" styles (jazz included) than you may realise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    intellectual wanderings or the cacophony
    Hear, hear. (Or rather not )

User Info Menu

Maybe the music from that era would also contain swing elements ... I don't know.