The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Each person seems to have their own method on how to get there...I picked up Jack Petersons book on the drop 2 and 3 ( he uses Raised 2/3
    about 3 or 4years ago..Memorized these standard forms..Transpose them..get them down pat...then went into the various ways to play cord
    melodys...Oh yeah, also learn the triads...This takes time, start memorizing the interval relationships so can make up your cords..Its a long
    process!...for me anyway!..I don't find the time to work with scales and
    other then the basics ( arps)..but I should...I know that....Good luck Scrybe...stay out of the ash....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artcore
    Each person seems to have their own method on how to get there..
    Too true! I'm doing a lot of exercises as prep for various things right now, so the Jody FIsher method with a clear goal of a song, then more songs, at the end of it is the best way to keep my interest in this up right now.

User Info Menu

There's nothing like deadlines or gigs to get your skills together... There's nothing like playing a gig and totally sucking... I've been around and can cover most gigs... I read very well, have tons of chops and understand it's part of my job to make who or whatever group I'm performing with sound better...I have great ears yada yada... But years ago I remember many gigs where I thought I sucked... I already had a couple degrees, could read and explain music pretty well. Those gigs gave me more focus and direction in regards to my playing than I could ever impose upon myself. Like I said in previous post I play duo gigs with vocalist, at least one a week. Those style of gigs are like playing solo guitar gigs. I think in forms and organize my styles of playing through forms. In AABA example, 1st A, single line melody with simple bass or comp style, light and maybe rubato. 2nd A, in time and busy version of 1st A. B section big voicings and with counter lines etc... and back to one of the A's to finish. You play a lot of tunes in solo or duo gigs. I hear both vertical and horizontal all the time, all my lines have chord structures below, I just don't always play them. All my chords or voicings have lead lines, some melodic and some just grooves. Sometimes life becomes busy and you need a kick in the butt to help organize your practice schedule. Best Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    I always wondered this....CM is considered jazz, and jazz is considered improvisation. Plus, I've seen far to many piano players sit down with a chart and do a similar thing to CM but on their instrument with little/no prep. So, can it be done on guitar? Is that the point? I love CMs, but it'll be years (read: decades) before I could ever improvise one. I should maybe start doing arrangements as CMs of the ballads I've played with my band...

Yes chord melodies can be improvised and it's lots of fun to do it!
    stop limiting yourself and start working on your goals immediately.
    A good guide for you is Martin Taylor's book on fingerstyle.

Good Luck!

yes The Jimmy Bruno teahces inprov along with CM and how create CM's on the fly. I can do it pretty well after just 2 yrs now
    Ken