The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Play it like you just lost something.

User Info Menu

Yes. Think what the song is about before you start playing it. It is about loss.

User Info Menu

Good points above. As a solo piece AL is perfect for some rubato playing. Eva manages to play in time and express sorrow very well here. Seemed appropriate to post this vid again here.

User Info Menu

I thought it was nice. I like the straight quarter note feel. Only think I can think of is you could add a few faster rhythmic subdivisions.

User Info Menu

The good news: You have succeeded at concocting an arrangement scheme that allows you to present melody and harmony.

Feedback for improvement: The A section alternates octave melody and walking bass response. The notes are all squarely on the beat and articulated very equally. Varying the call and response rhythms and loosening the time feel will help it relax. Overall it sounds too caught up in the technical details of guitar execution but it is plain to see that you have that part together, so for me the 2 main issues are feel and more variance of interpretation of the motifs.

Suggestion: Record yourself singing the melody, perhaps even with the response lines. Use that as a model to then realize on the guitar.