The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Welcome to my 577th solo guitar arrangement video on YouTube, "West Coast Blues" by Wes Montgomery. I'll spare you the influence Wes had on the world of jazz guitar but just add a few performance notes: I've been practicing this tune about 30 minutes a day for the past 10 days, hardly enough but way more than I'm used to. To really make it work, I need to play this 6-12 months but I don't tend to stay with one thing for too long so this is it. On one hand I'm pleased with some of the phrasing and the fact that I never lose a beat, even when there appears to be a hiccup I always catch up. On the other hand, and as usual, I like some of my recent live performances of this tune better, I took bigger chances, had some clams but also better ideas. But when you sit in front of a camera, inadvertently some of the spark might not be captured... Maybe I'll revisit in a year or so. Hope you enjoy it nevertheless!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jake we ALL know you are a brilliant musician, that was a pinch rushed, NO disrespect whatsoever.

in fact good to see you human afterall, some of the stuff you play is off the wall good.

User Info Menu

ps Wes's tone playing with Eddie Higgins sucks, and Wes is God could jus bin the recording tho

Im watching out for death threats..........................................

User Info Menu

Thank you for that beautiful and spirited rendition of a real classic, Jake!

User Info Menu

Wow, this is not an easy one to keep the bass line and accompanying chords flowing while playing a solo on top! Well done! And I love your chops, going to steal some…. :-)

Chapeau!

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks for the kind words and no problem, I kind of hate most of my own videos myself, lol! Having said that, as for the tempo, I did not rush, I deliberately wanted to play fast as I felt I wanted to burn through these changes rather than "stroll". It is what I focused on in the past week or so, not to be soulful or bluesy, just to try to burn, so I chose this tempo as a personal preference. Not saying I did it well but at least this tempo was my intention. At the same, I get what your saying, especially if Wes' own version is the definitive one for you (it is mine) and it's how you r hear this tune. Just last week I shared here a solo guitar arrangement of "Till there was you" and mentioned that I cannot play this song without hearing the Beatles' version in my head and so that performance really does resemble the original in style, form and tempo. Anyway, long story short, thanks for checking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Jake we ALL know you are a brilliant musician, that was a pinch rushed, NO disrespect whatsoever.

in fact good to see you human afterall, some of the stuff you play is off the wall good.

User Info Menu

Jack as always that was great! Yea a bit fast, not rushed (there’s a difference) but if any performer here hasn’t sped up playing live they’re liars lol.
    Jack’s one of our best here, I’ve learned a lot from his videos.
    Of course, as a resident Ibanez fan, I love that AG with blue tape! No prissy carved delicate display queen but a “working man’s jazz guitar” as Tal used to say. Take that you museum quality perfectionists

Man it can’t get any better! Buy his videos, seriously.

jk

User Info Menu

Nah, Joe Pass has been my man and I didn't always dig his tone. None are gods, we're all human...!

ps Wes's tone playing with Eddie Higgins sucks, and Wes is God could jus bin the recording tho

Im watching out for death threats..........................................

User Info Menu

Fun and inspiring for sure! Thanks.

[PS: Please, please get that vinyl behind you standing straight up and well but gently supported. If at least some aren’t seriously warped already, they will be - and it would be a tragedy to be unable to play them.]

User Info Menu

yeah i love Joe Pass as much as Wes and Barney.......................... hell forgot Tal, CC, Ronnie Singer sorry Raney you too, Sco you suck and Pat youre worse...... jokes aside they are all great.

and for many years now Jake one of the best solo players out , so of 577 tunes he played i thought it was pinch rushed, someone tries to justify rushed not being rushed, the ears tell you.

Jake posting and feedback/compliments,

sometimes things dont always groove/swing at that tempo, im talking 6/8 generally.................. yes of course it can be played upish.

User Info Menu

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thank you for that beautiful and spirited rendition of a real classic, Jake!

User Info Menu

Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Wow, this is not an easy one to keep the bass line and accompanying chords flowing while playing a solo on top! Well done! And I love your chops, going to steal some…. :-)

Chapeau!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Jack as always that was great! Yea a bit fast, not rushed (there’s a difference) but if any performer here hasn’t sped up playing live they’re liars lol.
    Jack’s one of our best here, I’ve learned a lot from his videos.
    Of course, as a resident Ibanez fan, I love that AG with blue tape! No prissy carved delicate display queen but a “working man’s jazz guitar” as Tal used to say. Take that you museum quality perfectionists

Man it can’t get any better! Buy his videos, seriously.

jk

User Info Menu

yeah i love Joe Pass as much as Wes and Barney.......................... hell forgot Tal, CC, Ronnie Singer sorry Raney you too, Sco you suck and Pat youre worse...... jokes aside they are all great.

and for many years now Jake one of the best solo players out , so of 577 tunes he played i thought it was pinch rushed, someone tries to justify rushed not being rushed, the ears tell you.

Jake posting and feedback/compliments,

sometimes things dont always groove/swing at that tempo, im talking 6/8 generally.................. yes of course it can be played upish.
    It's all good, it's just one version of many, just last night I played it almost 1/2 this tempo, whatever I feel on whatever day...! :-)

User Info Menu

great cover !

thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyname
    great cover !

thanks.
    Thank you!!

User Info Menu

Jake, thanks so much for all you do! I truly admire your musicality, soulful feeling and genre-blind approach to music. I love what you do on the turn around on WCB. Nice work - or should I say, nice play!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Jake, thanks so much for all you do! I truly admire your musicality, soulful feeling and genre-blind approach to music. I love what you do on the turn around on WCB. Nice work - or should I say, nice play!
    I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radioarc
    sounds great!
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

That's light years beyond where I am on jazz guitar. I do know how to get there. It's simply going to be time in grade (i.e. 100s of hours of practice). It has been really fun so far, albeit with some frustration. I do have a good set of ears and that's been a great help. I can transcribe some of the simpler jazz tunes. I find chord melody playing the most challenging of all the jazz styles.

So far, I'm self taught. But I think I need to have a good instructor. I've learned quite a bit from Jens Larsen and Rich Seversen on Youtube and Frank Vignola, Tim Lerch, and Henry Johnson on Truefire. I'll likely have to choose one of the instructors I mentioned for one on one instruction. I think that's where the real learning will start.

Anyway, sorry for the slight thread hijack. But I really enjoy your playing. Keep the tunes coming.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the kind words and identify with your frustrations! However, as great as those guys you mentioned are, why not me? For one thing I have a huge library of downloadable solo jazz guitar arranging lessons, see here DVDs/downloadable guitar lessons and I also am happy to offer one-one-one via zoom or facetime or similar... I'm at jake.reichbart@gmail.com, contact me! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    That's light years beyond where I am on jazz guitar. I do know how to get there. It's simply going to be time in grade (i.e. 100s of hours of practice). It has been really fun so far, albeit with some frustration. I do have a good set of ears and that's been a great help. I can transcribe some of the simpler jazz tunes. I find chord melody playing the most challenging of all the jazz styles.

So far, I'm self taught. But I think I need to have a good instructor. I've learned quite a bit from Jens Larsen and Rich Seversen on Youtube and Frank Vignola, Tim Lerch, and Henry Johnson on Truefire. I'll likely have to choose one of the instructors I mentioned for one on one instruction. I think that's where the real learning will start.

Anyway, sorry for the slight thread hijack. But I really enjoy your playing. Keep the tunes coming.

User Info Menu

Jake, I will certainly be mindful of you for lessons in the future. I've already purchased instruction from Frank Vignola, Henry Johnson, and Tim Lerch on Truefire. I need to commit to the instructional material I have. I am making progress but it will be a number of hours before I'm ready to "reload" and purchase more instruction. However, at some point I will need some "face to face" time with an instructor. You may be hearing from me at that time.

PS: We don't live that far apart. I noticed on your website you're in Ann Arbor. Not that close either, but I'm in southern Iowa. A little too far for live lessons. But...that's what computers are for!
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 07-06-2022 at 10:03 PM.