The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's my solo guitar rendition of Misty. I've been inspired by the beautiful chord solo by Joe Pass written out on his short book "Chord Solos". I tried to play something in that mood, with a more contemporary approach.

Would love to hear your opinions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful, Claudio!
    Love the diminished ideas and spread triads!
    I am familiar with the Joe Pass Chord-Solos but don't recongnize it here. I guess that's a good thing, you made it your own

User Info Menu

Great use of tension/release and counterpoint. I am sure that Joe Pass would have approved. Bravo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jribbentrop
    I am familiar with the Joe Pass Chord-Solos but don't recongnize it here. I guess that's a good thing, you made it your own

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds
    Here's my solo guitar rendition of Misty. I've been inspired by the beautiful chord solo by Joe Pass written out on his short book "Chord Solos". I tried to play something in that mood, with a more contemporary approach.

Would love to hear your opinions.

Nicely done! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jribbentrop
    Thanks a lot for listening and for your kind words!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Great use of tension/release and counterpoint. I am sure that Joe Pass would have approved. Bravo!
    Thanks, buddy!

User Info Menu

Very well done. Beautifully played. I look forward to the day that I have a large "musical encyclopedia" at my finger tips. I love jazz, but I've been neglectful of learning how to play it. I've wanted to learn to play jazz since my childhood but, until recently, I've been rather lazy when it comes to putting forth the effort. So far it has been both fun, challenging, and frustrating. Right now, it's the jazz theory that's kicking my butt the most.

I've played guitar for 60 years. I should be a far better musician than I am. Like many here I started playing rock but I always envied jazz players for their mastery of the genre and instrument. I've been playing bluegrass for the last 11 years or so and I've gotten to be a pretty good bluegrass guitar flat picker. I can hold my own with most. I also play bluegrass mandolin and Scruggs style banjo.

I've always thought two of the biggest challenges in music were becoming both a highly competent bluegrass guitar flat picker and a great jazz guitar player. So I've made a pretty big dent in learning and playing the former. Not so much the latter. But I've not made much of an effort in learning to play jazz, until recently.

OK, so, please forgive the slight thread hijack. But your (and other's) playing is very inspiring to me. I'm particularly interested in learning jazz chord melody playing. I like the idea of being able to accompany myself and play lead lines at the same time. Chord melody can be as simple or complex as you want. Little by little, day by day, I'm learning and making progress. It's slow going, but it is going. The feeling I get when I progress is pretty cool. Heck, I'm even enjoying the jazz theory stuff.

But, thank you for your inspiration and the motivation to continue. Gonna go work on "Autumn Leaves" for awhile. The Jazz Guitar Forum e-books are really helpful. I've learned the prerequisite 17 jazz chords (I know there are more) and their arpeggios. BTW, some may notice I changed this post almost completely. It started out too whiney. Time to go practice.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 12-16-2021 at 12:26 PM.