The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought one of those Boss OC-5 pedals. The pedal where it automatically drops just your bass notes an octave. I found it sort of gimmicky sounding for causal use. I'm sure with a dedicated bass amp etc. it can be useful.

Anyway got me thinking about some chord melody arrangements with dropped D tuning. A quick search did not turn up too much in the jazz genre.

Anybody have any resources they can point me to?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe not strictly chord melody, but Johnny Smith often used a dropped D. There's a Hal Leonard collection of some of his solos, but I don't have the book at hand right now, so I don't know how many (or any) are in dropped D. IIRC, all the arrangement are written at actual pitch ( a Johnny Smith habit, he advocated for it rather than the usual up an octave transposition of guitar music) so might take a little getting used to.

User Info Menu

Mundell Lowe is another drop D advocate. I can't think of any specific solo chord melody recordings of his, though...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Mundell Lowe is another drop D advocate. I can't think of any specific solo chord melody recordings of his, though...
    Thanks a quick search turned up this video by Mundell. The following should start at his dropped D discussion around the 22:20 mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Thanks a quick search turned up this video by Mundell. The following should start at his dropped D discussion around the 22:20 mark

I can tell you right now that that sounded lovely enough that I'll be playing around with drop D tonight.

User Info Menu

Two of my favorites