The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow.

User Info Menu

Pro. This tune is a favorite of mine. I liked your harmonies such as the turnaround with the pedal on top.

User Info Menu

Super Nice Arrangement & ReHarms Chris!

JT

User Info Menu

Truly inspiring. Love this tune. It’s been on my bucket list for decades.

User Info Menu

Chris,
    Nice arrangement. This must be the week for Over the Rainbow, Joe Robinson played his version of the song on his livestream this past Saturday. If you haven't heard him play it you might want to give it a listen. I've attached the video of his Saturday livestream; he plays the song starting at minute 47:00 so you can advance to the spot and no need to watch the entire livestream unless you want to.

I'm hoping to add Over the Rainbow to my study list but for the moment my fretboard skills are still developing so I'm not quite ready to tackle this one.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

User Info Menu

Fyi, my earlier post was only about Over the Rainbow but for anyone interested, in addition to his wondrous version of Rainbow Joe also pulls out his old Ibanez GB and plays his take on Misty (it starts at 12:07 of the livestream) and Georgia on My Mind (starts at 42:03).

User Info Menu

Hi, C,
    This is a very clean, lyrical sound which I especially like since it, for me, considers the natural sound of your instrument. Very nice arrangement, pacing, and playing.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Chris, I've enjoyed this one. How about Nature Boy or Invitation?

ARGewirtz, Chris is a long term member hear whose sole income is through his teaching, arrangements and gigs. If you want to promote Mr. Robinson, I'd recommend you start your own thread and not piggyback on Chris'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Chris, I've enjoyed this one. How about Nature Boy or Invitation?

ARGewirtz, Chris is a long term member hear whose sole income is through his teaching, arrangements and gigs. If you want to promote Mr. Robinson, I'd recommend you start your own thread and not piggyback on Chris'.
    Rob,
    I may be new to jazz guitar and to this Forum but I’m well aware of Chris’ status as a highly regarded jazz musician and member of this Forum. I’ve benefited greatly from his videos as I’ve begun developing my skills over the past year and, for what it’s worth, am happy to wear the Authentic Jazz Guitar tee shirt that I purchased from his website.

As happens, I posted my appreciation for Chris’ rendition of Over the Rainbow after having heard it the first day that it was posted. Having said that, my recent post in response to other members of the Forum having recently viewed and posted kudos for Chris’ performance was not to promote Joe Robinson but rather to share with Chris and the other members of the Forum another rendition of the song as well as a few other chestnuts that I thought were notable and that all would appreciate.

As for your public scolding of my post, it’s unfortunate that you mistook my enthusiasm for shared musicianship as a slight on one of this Forum’s members. If Chris was offended by my post then I deeply apologize to him. As for you, I don’t know you and I’m not sure why you felt it necessary to post a public scolding, although I had been warned by other prominent professionals about the toxic nature of this Forum so I guess a bit of pusillanimous posturing at some point should have been expected. In the future, if you have a concern about my actions then I believe the Forum provides a private chat feature where you’re welcome to air your concerns in person and in private.

Cheers out,
    Andrew

User Info Menu

Andrew - it's not illegal or anything, but truth be told it's basically just "bad style points" to glom on to someone else's performance thread with another performance, unless it's one of those community threads where multiple forum members are all playing the same tune.

But no biggie.

That said, that Joe guy certainly plays the acoustic guitar very nicely but some may find his rendition to be overly decorative, guitaristicly indulgent, lacking in harmonic variety, and forward motion anemic.

And that's no biggie either. To each his own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Andrew - it's not illegal or anything, but truth be told it's basically just "bad style points" to glom on to someone else's performance thread with another performance, unless it's one of those community threads where multiple forum members are all playing the same tune.

But no biggie.

That said, that Joe guy certainly plays the acoustic guitar very nicely but some may find his rendition to be overly decorative, guitaristicly indulgent, lacking in harmonic variety, and forward motion anemic.

And that's no biggie either. To each his own.
    Don,
    Thanks for your feedback. In the future I will certainly look to up my stylish points and stick with proper posting protocol. And in hindsight my apology to Rob as I guess I was participating in the type of behavior I was also criticizing; my bad.

As for the critique of Joe's playing, I understand your perspective and although I appreciate his fretboard facility it's not the kind of playing that I aspire to; I much prefer Chris' style and lyricism.
    Andrew

User Info Menu

I for one appreciate you sharing other renditions of this great song. Anything to help us all as a group to become more inspired. They are both great examples and both great musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    I for one appreciate you sharing other renditions of this great song. Anything to help us all as a group to become more inspired. They are both great examples and both great musicians.
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate that and that was certainly my intent to simply share a different musical approach for the benefit of all and with no intent to disturb anyone's sense of Forum decorum. Again my apology to Rob for my display of poor judgement in my response to his post; although it seems to me that sharing an alternate versions of a song for reference should not be taken as a slight to the original performer but instead, as you suggested, an inspiration to all particularly those of us who are just learning the craft. Anyway, no need to belabor the point and I've done what I should have done from the start and have sent Rob a note via Private Messenger.

As I noted in my earlier reply to Don's post, given the choice between the two versions of the tune, I much prefer Chris' style and lyricism and hope to develop my chops to the point where I can create the type of harmonic approach that Chris displays with his playing.
    Andrew