The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Good morning, everyone! This week I played a bossa nova favorite Meditação, written by Jobim, of course.

A song like this reminds me why I need to keep practicing. I'll probably revert to a ballad for next week, but hopefully one day I can play one of these "faster" (to me anyway...) tunes without rushing too much!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    Nice playing. So, this is a Jazz forum. And, one can be free to wander in any direction. No argument. However, Jobim's music reflects sentimentality and this is lost in your version of Meditation. It is a meditation. It doesn't mean that you have to necessarily copy the piece exactly and its varied recordings, but rather bring some veracity of your own to Jobim's music within the context of the song. For example, let's say you're doing "My Funny Valentine" at 144 bpm and jumping all around the guitar neck . . . does that interpretation do justice to the Roger's/Hart's intent/vision of this romantic song? Perhaps, for some . . . not for me. Composers provide tempo markings. They don't have to be slavishly followed but there's a reason they're there because it reflects the soul of the song as written. So, please take these remarks as genuine from someone who sees great potential in your playing.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Marinero is right
    to hear Jobim’s meditation played on a rock manner is a bit shocking and certainly not in the spirit of the song
    if you like to play fast,why not try the Mike Stern jazz rock repertoire, like ah ah hotel,ie
    Last edited by emilP; 08-18-2021 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    Marinero is right
    to hear Jobim’s meditation played on a rock manner is a bit shocking and certainly not in the spirit of the song
    if you like to play fast,why not try the Mike Stern jazz rock repertoire, like ah ah hotel,ie
    As someone who often noodles around with classical pieces on electric guitar with delay and effects, I can't say I've ever been "shocked" by how a piece is performed!

User Info Menu

Every taste does exist in the
    nature

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    Every taste does exist in the
    nature
    My email notification said:

"All testes are in de nature"

which is more interesting and rife for puns.

User Info Menu

Great job Medeul, I really enjoyed your version/playing.

User Info Menu

It isn't that playing a song at a different tempo\feel is "right" or not, but instead if it is in sync with the the feel as defined by the composer.

That is the point that was originally made and I tend to agree with it; I.e. the overall essence of the song was somewhat lost to me, even if the actual playing was very good.

But the song has been done at many different tempos. Here is Gene Harris:

Last edited by jameslovestal; 08-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.

User Info Menu

My email notification said:

"All testes are in de nature"

which is more interesting and rife for puns.

Ooh my god !

User Info Menu

Gene Harris:

It’s not a meditation, but a jogging

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    For example, let's say you're doing "My Funny Valentine" at 144 bpm and jumping all around the guitar neck . . . does that interpretation do justice to the Roger's/Hart's intent/vision of this romantic song?

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon did it at a very similar tempo to Madeul, so he's in good company.

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon did it at a very similar tempo to Madeul, so he's in good company.

Awful: tradditore , tradutore

User Info Menu

Even Joao Gilberto did it at about the same tempo as Madeul.

Love the discussion! It’s always fun (and important) to talk about how to interpret a piece.

There are these couple of bars I really like in the 1st movement of Mahler’s 10th, that are usually played with soaring emotion. Then I listened to Gielen’s version (or maybe it was Boulez), and I actually got angry because he rushed through it like it was some kind of homework assignment… to my ears at least.

I’m currently working on Like Someone In Love, but with single note soloing accompanied by piano, rather than chord melody for a change. So hopefully see you over there in the Standards forum!

User Info Menu

After listening to Madeul, Dexter and Joao Gilberto - it's not the tempo but the laid-back feeling. Anyway, I enjoyed Madeul's version a lot. I'm working on the tune myself ATM, so thank y'all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    After listening to Madeul, Dexter and Joao Gilberto - it's not the tempo but the laid-back feeling. Anyway, I enjoyed Madeul's version a lot. I'm working on the tune myself ATM, so thank y'all for the input.
    Thanks Doc— looking forward to hearing your rendition!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Horrible, G . . . simply horrible!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

O.K, for the record here's the rough bpm's:

Maduel: 72 bpm

Evans: 88-92 bpm

Dexter: 69-72 bpm

Gilberto: 80 bpm

Here's the composer's (Jobim) version 63-66 bpm

I still don't like the song rushed. It kills the feel for me. After all, the song translated mean Meditation. Not Nascar.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 08-21-2021 at 09:46 AM. Reason: addition