The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Happy Sunday!

This week, for my 10th video (finally!), I played a Mexican Bolero from the 50s called Sabor A Mí. Unlike the past several videos, this time I only played one repetition. Instead of trying to come up with a new melody, I focused on playing the song itself, as cleanly and expressively as I could. As a result, this one is less than two minutes long.

I also purposefully put this on a key that's difficult for me (Gb major) in the hopes that it would force me to try out new voicings. Welp, that didn't happen, but I'm glad I got beyond G, E, D, Bb, etc. for a second.

Hope you enjoy, and as always, let me know what you think!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    Excellent. I especially enjoyed the creative ending from 1:30 to end. When you focus on individual chords/single notes and give them special meaning(time), you make your pieces more lyrical and personal where you can say: "Yes, this is me, Madeul." Very nice.
    Play live????? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Lol, "Taste of me"?

Some things just don't translate the way we think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    Excellent. I especially enjoyed the creative ending from 1:30 to end. When you focus on individual chords/single notes and give them special meaning(time), you make your pieces more lyrical and personal where you can say: "Yes, this is me, Madeul." Very nice.
    Play live????? . . . Marinero
    Glad you enjoyed it, Marinero. I think there’s something about letting go of the compulsion to play a million notes and just letting the song come out that allows the music to be more personal. Always appreciate your insights.

User Info Menu

I don't know if eternity has love
    But there, just like here
    In your mouth you will carry
    Taste of me

... gross.

(But nice, playing again, Madeul!)

User Info Menu

I'd love to know how you're getting this sound. What amp or software you're using. How you're recording. Your sound is always very beautiful. (Playing too)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I don't know if eternity has love
    But there, just like here
    In your mouth you will carry
    Taste of me

... gross.

(But nice, playing again, Madeul!)
    It could be a kiss, let's say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'd love to know how you're getting this sound. What amp or software you're using. How you're recording. Your sound is always very beautiful. (Playing too)
    Hi Jim, I appreciate your comments!

I plug my guitar into an audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD), which then goes to my laptop. I use GarageBand for post-processing-- I use the Clean Jazz Combo amp sim, and then there's a bit of reverb and heavy low-cut EQ (for catching the hum).

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

User Info Menu

have to admit, I've always been partial to archtops, but that's a wonderful tone you're getting out of that Tele style guitar. but I'd imagine you'd get that sound out of any guitar you played. after all it's the driver not the car

btw, this was my 1st exposure to this tune many moons ago, the multi talented Doris Day.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    have to admit, I've always been partial to archtops, but that's a wonderful tone you're getting out of that Tele style guitar. but I'd imagine you'd get that sound out of any guitar you played. after all it's the driver not the car

btw, this was my 1st exposure to this tune many moons ago, the multi talented Doris Day.

I would never say no to an archtop! Which one do you play? Perhaps there's a place for one in my future... But I'm under the impression that the price tag tends to run pretty hefty relative to a solid body with an "equivalent" quality.

Thank you for the link. I haven't heard this version. It's definitely a different vibe, but it's a pretty rendition nonetheless.