Hope I'm not spamming this forum with these weekly videos, but here's another one! I've been meaning to play Speak Low for a while now, but since I love the song so much, I have been semiconsciously saving it up until I had a bit of confidence to tackle it in earnest.

The song has an interesting twist on the traditional AABA structure in that the B section is only half as long as you would expect it to be. In practice, combined with the repeated ii-V measures, it meant that I had more latitude to play out simple motifs. Perhaps this is the reason why it was so uncharacteristically easy for me to record this with only three rather than several-to-dozen takes to which I am accustomed.

Hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    This is your best video to date. You are paying attention to the breathing of the phrases and nuance much better than before. Remember, when we play our instruments, we are imitating the human voice. I agree with Dexter Gordon's assessment that you cannot play a ballad properly unless you know the words and can sing the song in your head as you play. It is giving meaning to the black dots on paper and transforming them into an expression of your musicianship and what some of us call "soul." Don't be afraid of silence since it complements your sound. We sing through our instruments and tell the world about who we are as humans.
    Play live . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    This is your best video to date. You are paying attention to the breathing of the phrases and nuance much better than before. Remember, when we play our instruments, we are imitating the human voice. I agree with Dexter Gordon's assessment that you cannot play a ballad properly unless you know the words and can sing the song in your head as you play. It is giving meaning to the black dots on paper and transforming them into an expression of your musicianship and what some of us call "soul." Don't be afraid of silence since it complements your sound. We sing through our instruments and tell the world about who we are as humans.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Thanks Marinero for the thoughtful comments as always. I think it takes courage to embrace silence, but I will keep trying!

User Info Menu

Fantastic playing, Madeul... keep 'em coming!

You have a beautifully fluid, relaxed style. Do you care to share a bit about how you came to (and continue to) develop it, and how you approach tunes?

Love the Kirn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Fantastic playing, Madeul... keep 'em coming!

You have a beautifully fluid, relaxed style. Do you care to share a bit about how you came to (and continue to) develop it, and how you approach tunes?

Love the Kirn.
    Thanks Jehu for the kind comment!

I’ve tried out different things, and I find that what works for me best is to prioritize playing the melody as I would have without the chords. Then the harmony just fills the rest of the space. I’ve also tried laying out a bunch of chords first, but at least for me that ends up sounding pretty choppy. But like you said, continuously practicing/experimenting.