The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

This week, I played "You Are Too Beautiful".

It was an interesting -- even if a bit frustrating -- experience for me to record this. Last week, I had gotten wonderful feedback from this forum about slowing down a little bit. Granted, it was for a different song ("Blame It On My Youth"), but I figured I would try playing the this other one at around 60 BPM.

And it just didn't work! I'm usually done recording in 30-40 minutes after several takes, but it was taking me 2-3 times that, and I still didn't have a usable take; even when I wasn't making too many mistakes, things just sounded off and loose.

Finally, with my camera's battery light blinking in red, I decided I will play at a tempo that felt natural to me, which happened to be around 70 BPM. Then it clicked-- I was actually making fewer mistakes even though I was playing a bit faster, and the phrases sounded more musical.

Some would play the same song slower and others faster. And they could all sound great. It just has to be one's tempo at which one hears the song, it seems! Just gotta be able to find it through trial-and-error.

There's probably more hiccups in this video than in the others because I had to wrap things up fast, but hopefully it's still good enough for you all to enjoy.
    Last edited by MadeulPlaysGuitar; 07-17-2021 at 08:28 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice chord melody arrangement of a rarely heard ballad. Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

The person who said that about the other song was completely wrong. I am the most critical member when it comes to tempo and phrasing. I always tell people when they need to fix their tempo/phrasing.

There was nothing wrong with that tune. You are probably the best player right now who posts videos on this site, that person was probably a bit jealous.

User Info Menu

Play on, my friend and take some overly critical comments with a pinch of salt.
    Everyone started somewhere and progressed to elevate their skills and knowledge.
    while some reached an early plateau and were content to remain at that level.
    Here's a nice version in 'C' of "You Are Too Beautiful" played by Bob Burford.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Nice chord melody arrangement of a rarely heard ballad. Thanks for posting.

Tony D.
    Thanks for listening. I'm surprised that this song isn't played much more often.

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I am the most critical member when it comes to tempo and phrasing. I always tell people when they need to fix their tempo/phrasing.

There was nothing wrong with that tune.
    Tempo is so subjective that I would sometimes find myself listening to tracks by the greatest players and wishing they'd played it more slowly/quickly. And who knows-- maybe I am right! In regards to phrasing, I think my unconscious habit is to try to use a bit of rubato to signal the end of the phrase in the melody, while using that time to establish the harmony. My guess is that that can be interpreted as a much longer, uninterrupted phrase-- which is fine, and it's okay to learn that it can be perceived as such.

But it feels good to be affirmed as well! I appreciate your generous comments.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Play on, my friend and take some overly critical comments with a pinch of salt.
    Everyone started somewhere and progressed to elevate their skills and knowledge.
    while some reached an early plateau and were content to remain at that level.
    Here's a nice version in 'C' of "You Are Too Beautiful" played by Bob Burford.

Thank you for sharing this video. Perhaps if I work hard enough I will be able to play like that by the time I've reached his age.

Before I started sharing songs online (so around two months ago), I was worried that I wouldn't be able to take in the negative comments. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like I've interfaced with that corner of the internet thus far.