User Info Menu

Hey Guys,

I'd love to start a study group for solo guitar.

I'm working on extending my (classical, pop & light jazz) set list but would love to be able to improvise better as this would also fill time.

Maybe we could pick tunes and play the melody (and sing the melody!), then melody and bass, then melody, bass and middle voicings all in various positions before trying to improvise over the tune?

I'd love to see everyone's approaches.

If people are interested just post below. Feel free to add your thoughts about what to include (shell voicings, triads etc).

Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Hey Guys,

I'd love to start a study group for solo guitar.

I'm working on extending my (classical, pop & light jazz) set list but would love to be able to improvise better as this would also fill time.

Maybe we could pick tunes and play the melody (and sing the melody!), then melody and bass, then melody, bass and middle voicings all in various positions before trying to improvise over the tune?

I'd love to see everyone's approaches.

If people are interested just post below. Feel free to add your thoughts about what to include (shell voicings, triads etc).

Thank you
    I'd try and participate.

User Info Menu

I like this idea. I started working on solo guitar with a teacher because I realized after nearly 30 years of playing “lead guitar” in blues/funk/rock bands, I had nearly zero facility for playing actual tunes in a convincing or interesting way.

“Oh, you play guitar. Play me something.”

“Okay. I don’t sing, so here’s 3 minutes of the chords from Louis Louis...Hey man, why are you walking away? I’m about to go into Franklin’s Tower...IN REVERSE!”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I like this idea. I started working on solo guitar with a teacher because I realized after nearly 30 years of playing “lead guitar” in blues/funk/rock bands, I had nearly zero facility for playing actual tunes in a convincing or interesting way.

“Oh, you play guitar. Play me something.”

“Okay. I don’t sing, so here’s 3 minutes of the chords from Louis Louis...Hey man, why are you walking away? I’m about to go into Franklin’s Tower...IN REVERSE!”
    That was too painfully real for me!

I’ve recently realized I don’t really need a new way to amaze people with my five minute blistering solo over China Cat or three whole step bends over a blues shuffle in A. Heck, I haven’t played with other musicians in over a year.

The pandemic has been all about solo arrangements of jazz standards, Beatles tunes, whatever, played for friends and family in a living room with a glass of wine after a good meal. I’ve just started to make some inroads, but would love more ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro