The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

This is my 7th weekly upload! I had to skip last week because, well, fireworks, but this week I play "Blame It On My Youth" on my telecaster.

I don't know if this is a common experience, but I feel that more and more I do this, it sort of becomes easier to memorize and internalize the chords, arrange the song, and play them somewhat fluently. Maybe I'm settling on a style, but maybe I should keep an eye out on getting too comfortable.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great playing!
    Beautifull sound on Tele.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Nice playing, M. However, I'd like to see you pay more attention to your phrasing which tends to transition too quickly from one statement to the next. By breathing more, it helps to connect the ideas more lyrically. Imagine a person talking and jumping from one idea to the next without pausing. Try it one time and listen to the difference. I hope this helps you.
    Play live . . . Marinero

Thank you both for your input!

User Info Menu

Wonderfully done. I’d like to have heard you slow the tempo even more. At the right tempo that tune is like a flower opening to the world. I’ve always heard that tune as a slow ballad, ala Keith Jarrett. As a ballad the tune comes alive. Tougher to do on guitar but it can be done.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 07-13-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Great suggestion, 2bornot2bop-- and my impression is that it largely jives with the spirit of Marinero's comment above.

The Keith Jarrett interpretation is certainly beautiful.

I think a challenge for me while playing slow (circa 50-60 BPM as in Keith Jarrett's version) is to prevent things from getting too loose, for lack of a better word. I imagine this is related to what you mean by it being tough on a guitar.

My next tune will be You Are Too Beautiful. Maybe I can try a broad tempo for that piece!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=2bornot2bop;1133986]Wonderfully done. I’d like to have heard you slow the tempo even more. At the right tempo that tune is like a flower opening to the world. I’ve always heard that tune as a slow ballad, ala Keith Jarrett. As a ballad the tune comes alive. Tougher to do on guitar but it can be done.

I feel that Jarrett was one of the most emotional musicians playing jazz..he was one of the best .. though he was not a "mainstream" name ..mainstream players knew him..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar

This is my 7th weekly upload! I had to skip last week because, well, fireworks, but this week I play "Blame It On My Youth" on my telecaster.

I don't know if this is a common experience, but I feel that more and more I do this, it sort of becomes easier to memorize and internalize the chords, arrange the song, and play them somewhat fluently. Maybe I'm settling on a style, but maybe I should keep an eye out on getting too comfortable.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!
    wonderful voicings...and the sound from the tele is sweet and soft...

and yeah ..experiment with tempo..let some of the bass notes ring and hold the tune together..

did you study with someone or self taught??

what gauge strings ??

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=wolflen;1134073]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wonderfully done. I’d like to have heard you slow the tempo even more. At the right tempo that tune is like a flower opening to the world. I’ve always heard that tune as a slow ballad, ala Keith Jarrett. As a ballad the tune comes alive. Tougher to do on guitar but it can be done.

I feel that Jarrett was one of the most emotional musicians playing jazz..he was one of the best .. though he was not a "mainstream" name ..mainstream players knew him..
    There’s only one Jarrett. Observe the superb chromatic voicing of the harmony as Jarrett plays it during Gary Peacock’s solo. That’s pure ecstasy. Being a piano player I’ve actually transcribed that recording, and it’s pure joy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    wonderful voicings...and the sound from the tele is sweet and soft...

and yeah ..experiment with tempo..let some of the bass notes ring and hold the tune together..

did you study with someone or self taught??

what gauge strings ??
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been teaching myself.

I use a .012 gauge (Thomastik-Infeld JS112).

User Info Menu

Your Telecaster is a great choice for interpretation of your jazz. Although I have access to several great archtop guitars in my collection, I find myself relying more and more on my Telecaster.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MadeulPlaysGuitar;1134229]

Your a good teacher..!

Use / study any Ted Greene material ?..chord solos..progressions/harmonic ideas ? If not..you may enjoy his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Your Telecaster is a great choice for interpretation of your jazz. Although I have access to several great archtop guitars in my collection, I find myself relying more and more on my Telecaster.
    I would never say no to an archtop! Wish I had one, haha.

But there's something so pure about playing on a Telecaster that's barely more than a fretboard with pickups.

[QUOTE=wolflen;1134253]
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar

Your a good teacher..!

Use / study any Ted Greene material ?..chord solos..progressions/harmonic ideas ? If not..you may enjoy his work.
    Thanks wolflen.

I had tried studying Ted Greene. Obviously his work is a wonderful resource, but it's kinda like that thick reference book that sits on your shelf and gathers dust. Maybe once easy stuff gets easier for me I can tackle those books again! I do love going through his transcriptions and getting ideas about voicing.