The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    Liked, subscribed and looking forward to future videos. I certainly have room for improvement in my solo playing. I really like your "trick" of two lines - melody and bass. It certainly does sound full and if you can throw in a few chords here and there so much the better! I already started working on Ain't Misbehaving.
    Yeah brings Ted Greene to mind. I do have a tendency to think, it's Jazz, I have to have all this simultaneous vertical harmony, kind of all or nothing thinking. I like this approach.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Subscribed,liked and pressed the notifications bell button. Thanks and best of luck with this constructive endevour.
    Thanks very much! I'll share Part 2 to a new thread very shortly, it's already on YouTube if you want to have a look:

User Info Menu

Great stuff again! I also like to add some ‘percussion’ by hitting the strings, especially in bossa-pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    For solo guitar (or cocktail guitar?) I like to use an octave pedal (set so that it only adds a lower octave to the bass notes) to create bass lines (walking bass is cool, but very difficult to keep it flowing under a head). For soloing my EHX Freeze pedal comes in handy to lay down a chord and solo over it.

It’s easily overdone, though. It has to be used tastefully to avoid letting it become a gimmick, so I most certainly don’t use it for every song. But when used sparsely, it’s great to create some variation between songs. I use it mostly in more modal songs and blues.
    How do you get the octave pedal to respond only to the bass notes? Which pedal are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    How do you get the octave pedal to respond only to the bass notes? Which pedal are you using?
    The Boss OC-3. It has a ‘poly’-mode that lets you set the range/break-off point for the pitch of notes of which to add a lower octave too. There’s a video of Gilad Hekselman on YouTube explaining this, let me see if I can find it.

*edit: here it is!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Some pedals (e.g. Boss OC3) allow you to set a cut-off note above which the effect stops. (Although it’s not really a sudden cutoff, the effect sort of fades out when you get very close to that note, at least that’s how the OC3 operates).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Boss info. There goes Boss again with another completely usable non-boutique pedal that delivers the goods for a reasonable price. I have the EH POG which does not have that ability. The POG doe track pretty good.

Will be buying these probably today but now what about 0C-3 vs OC-5? Did a quick search and voila:

Using the Boss OC-5 in a Jazz Setting & a comparison with the old OC-3

Ran across this while surfing:

A Little Thunder Guitar Pickups - Add A Bass Signal To Your Guitar

User Info Menu

I have the Boss OC3, I don’t know anything about the OC5. On the OC3 I set the cutoff point at about D, seems to work quite well (i.e. so that any bass notes from D down to E are doubled an octave below).

I recorded this using the OC3:

User Info Menu

Thank you Jake, I have subscribed and plan to take full advantage of your excellent series.

Learn all you can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    Its a pure joy to follow you on your new serie in every way and hear your thoughts !
    Thanks , Jake
    Thanks, Uffe, likewise to you!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Subscribed,liked and pressed the notifications bell button. Thanks and best of luck with this constructive endevour.
    Thanks very much!!

User Info Menu

Cocktail guitarist. That’s an idea whose time has come. Why should pianists have all the fun! Great channel Jake. I’ve been a member for what, 8 years?

User Info Menu

Great way to live your life with the guitar. Musical development guranteed by the way