Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1


    It would be great if I could play a bit fancier, but sometimes it's nice to pare things down and focus on not making (too many) mistakes.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar


    It would be great if I could play a bit fancier, but sometimes it's nice to pare things down and focus on not making (too many) mistakes.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    That's a beautiful arrangement.

    Part of art is leaving out the extra.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    How did you record that? Sounds really fine!

  6. #5
    Thanks!

    I connected the line out of my amp (Roland Cube 80XL) to an audio interface (Behringer UMC204HD) and recorded the sound with Audacity. Then there's a bit of EQ (mostly to reduce the noise), delay, reverb, and compression that I threw in using GarageBand.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Great tune and great job with it!

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar
    Thanks!

    I connected the line out of my amp (Roland Cube 80XL) to an audio interface (Behringer UMC204HD) and recorded the sound with Audacity. Then there's a bit of EQ (mostly to reduce the noise), delay, reverb, and compression that I threw in using GarageBand.
    That was well done! Thanks.

    Maybe you could pdf a chart?

    On the recording part, although I'm no engineer, I think you may be running the risk of blowing your interface with that workaround.

    I'm not familiar with the Behringer UMC204HD however ALL interfaces are designed to boost the weaker signals from either mic or pickups with preamp
    which is the reason for the LINE / INST toggle switch on each input.

    The AUX out of your amp is already boosted and could overwhelm the circuitry of the interface.

    Not really knowledgeable on this though; maybe others here can help.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    That’s not a ‘workaround’, it’s a standard method, at least in my experience!

    I have often recorded line out from my DV little jazz into a Focusrite interface with no problem. As I understand it, those interfaces are designed to handle a wide range of input signals. If you set them to ‘Line’ then they expect a line-level signal. You also control the line signal level being fed to the interface, by using the volume control on the amp. The focusrite has a green light signal which tells you if you are overloading it (it goes through amber to red when this happens). So the combination of amp output control and the interface’s own input level control gives you plenty of scope to set the level correctly going into the interface.

    On the focusrite 2i2 interface I have, you should not use the XLR input for line signals as it expects only mic-level inputs via that input. So I use the standard jack input for line or guitar inputs.

    I also have a Cube 80x and it works exactly the same way as the DV little jazz, i.e. amp line out level is controlled by the amp volume.

    In fact the main problem I have is that the amp volume on both amps has to be pretty loud to get a sufficient line out level, which can be a bit of a nuisance for home recording!

    So I doubt you can damage the interface with this method, if you are using it with the correct connections and settings.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    So I doubt you can damage the interface with this method, if you are using it with the correct connections and settings.
    That's interesting grahambop, thanks for the info.

    The small practice amp I have has both an AUX ( 1/8 ) and PHONES ( 1/8 ) output jacks.

    You think I can go through AMP out with a hybrid cable to my FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 interface?

    Thanks for your time concerning this.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Are you sure the AUX is an output? I thought AUX is usually an input, so that you can connect an mp3 player and play along to it in the amp.

    Phones out might work, although sound quality might not be as good as a dedicated line out. You will have to make sure (using the phones output level and the input gain on the Focusrite) that the gain signal on the focusrite stays green and doesn’t clip i.e. go into the red.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Are you sure the AUX is an output? I thought AUX is usually an input, so that you can connect an mp3 player and play along to it in the amp.

    Phones out might work, although sound quality might not be as good as a dedicated line out. You will have to make sure (using the phones output level and the input gain on the Focusrite) that the gain signal on the focusrite stays green and doesn’t clip i.e. go into the red.
    You're right! AUX is for a media player...a lot I know about this amp!

    I'm going to try the PHONES out ( which will mute the amp ) to INST in and then use the headset on the Focusrite.

    I've got an adapter ( 1/8 - 1/4 ) for the cable.

    If that works I've wasted a lot of time trying to mic the amp in a "near field" studio.

    Thanks for the info; much appreciated.

  13. #12
    I relate to the line out level issue. Once I crank it up to utilize the dynamic range and to fight the background hiss of my Roland, I'm basically performing for the whole neighborhood. There is a recording out / phones jack, but then I lose the ability to directly monitor the sound.

    Should've bought the DV!

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    You're right! AUX is for a media player...a lot I know about this amp!

    I'm going to try the PHONES out ( which will mute the amp ) to INST in and then use the headset on the Focusrite.

    I've got an adapter ( 1/8 - 1/4 ) for the cable.

    If that works I've wasted a lot of time trying to mic the amp in a "near field" studio.

    Thanks for the info; much appreciated.
    No, don’t have the INST button on, that is used for direct guitar input. Turn INST off, this will make it a Line input, which should be better suited to the amp PHONES out signal.

    "My Romance" - Very simple arrangement-9a09a26f-4589-48dd-a625-7482759d7475-jpeg

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar
    I relate to the line out level issue. Once I crank it up to utilize the dynamic range and to fight the background hiss of my Roland, I'm basically performing for the whole neighborhood. There is a recording out / phones jack, but then I lose the ability to directly monitor the sound.

    Should've bought the DV!
    Actually the DV has exactly the same issue using the line out, i.e. too loud ‘in the room’ with the speaker on, or you can switch off the speaker but then you lose monitoring capability.

    So I usually end up monitoring via another method, i.e. feeding everything out of the Focusrite (using the headphone output) into my powered computer speakers (they have a ‘music’ input to accept an external source). But it’s not ideal, the guitar doesn’t sound all that clear somehow (even though they are reasonable speakers). Probably good enough for solo guitar though.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Lovely playing!!

    Interesting conversation re plugging the amp into the interface.

    I play an Ibanez AFJ85 into a Vox AC15C1 which is a beautiful sound be in the room but I cannot capture this sound when recording. It loses some of its warmth ( maybe not the best term).

    I'll try plugging the Vox into my Focusrite this afternoon.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No, don’t have the INST button on, that is used for direct guitar input. Turn INST off, this will make it a Line input, which should be better suited to the amp PHONES out signal.
    Ok, got it. I'll try that today.

    Thanks again!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Lovely playing!!

    Interesting conversation re plugging the amp into the interface.

    I play an Ibanez AFJ85 into a Vox AC15C1 which is a beautiful sound be in the room but I cannot capture this sound when recording. It loses some of its warmth ( maybe not the best term).

    I'll try plugging the Vox into my Focusrite this afternoon.
    Have you tried EQing the "warmth" back in via your DAW?

    If this works I'll never hang a quilt over my amp and mic again.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Well that works!




    Just grabbed the first thing untuned and gave it a shot.

    Owe you one grahambop.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    I love the arrangement and your tone is beyond beautiful

  21. #20
    Thank you for your very kind words!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Have you tried EQing the "warmth" back in via your DAW?

    If this works I'll never hang a quilt over my amp and mic again.
    I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to recording audio on Reaper ( that's easy) but then recording the visual on my phone and adding that to Reaper, which is on my laptop, and then syncing them together.

    I just tried the line out into the interface but my Vox AC15C1 doesn't have a line out

    It has two speaker and a foot switch plug. I tried the speakers but the sound is aweful.

    The mic gives the best sound thus far.