The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Hey all,

So distinct from the way of playing solo guitar using chord melody, the swing-era saw chord-melody guitar in a band context, often as an introduction or interlude, and occasionally with a proper solo. Having just transcribed 20 Allan Reuss chord-melody bits, I've realized how distinct what he's doing is from how I had approached the style when playing alone. So I figured I start a tread about specific this school of playing, and some of the cool examples of it.

Starting off... my main realization of late has been how Allan Reuss, my favorite, is far less concerned with outlining the changes in his lower voicings, compared to how I do it, because I'm often thinking about playing alone. Allan often slides around major and minor triads, super imposing them over different changes. His lower voices don't "lay the pipe" of the harmony. A common trick of his: over a C7 or a Gm7/C7... sliding back and forth between a Gm and Am triad, along with a Bb and C triad. I'd be worried about not having a Bb in my C voicing to covey the "dominant" character. But Allan has a band to do that.

Also, these little cameo chord-melody moments are often introductions, or interludes, or setting up a key change... so that's kind of it's own special thing...

Here's example, which I just put up on Soundslice:
    John Trueheart's intro on "Lonesome Moments"
    John Trueheart - Lonesome Moments (intro) - 1934 - Chick Webb | Soundslice

I hope there might be some other folks interested in this kind of thing. Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yes great
    deffo interested
    i love this style ....

User Info Menu

Very much interested. I've learned some intros from you and Vinny Raniolo. Also the chord solo styles.

User Info Menu

Here's another intro, this from Allan Reuss on Teddy Wilsons' recording of "Coquette" (1937).

Allan Reuss - Coquette (1937) - Teddy Wilson | Soundslice

User Info Menu

Excellent !!!!! Right up my alley at the moment and so useful for the stuff I play with the new swing group I'm in, thanks !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Hey all,

So distinct from the way of playing solo guitar using chord melody, the swing-era saw chord-melody guitar in a band context, often as an introduction or interlude, and occasionally with a proper solo. Having just transcribed 20 Allan Reuss chord-melody bits, I've realized how distinct what he's doing is from how I had approached the style when playing alone. So I figured I start a tread about specific this school of playing, and some of the cool examples of it.

Starting off... my main realization of late has been how Allan Reuss, my favorite, is far less concerned with outlining the changes in his lower voicings, compared to how I do it, because I'm often thinking about playing alone. Allan often slides around major and minor triads, super imposing them over different changes. His lower voices don't "lay the pipe" of the harmony. A common trick of his: over a C7 or a Gm7/C7... sliding back and forth between a Gm and Am triad, along with a Bb and C triad. I'd be worried about not having a Bb in my C voicing to covey the "dominant" character. But Allan has a band to do that.

Also, these little cameo chord-melody moments are often introductions, or interludes, or setting up a key change... so that's kind of it's own special thing...

Here's example, which I just put up on Soundslice:
    John Trueheart's intro on "Lonesome Moments"
    John Trueheart - Lonesome Moments (intro) - 1934 - Chick Webb | Soundslice

I hope there might be some other folks interested in this kind of thing. Cheers
    This is a good one! I tried it also in G, first 2 bars with a D pedal, sounds really good too.

User Info Menu

Great thread, Jonathan. I’ll be reading it to the end.

User Info Menu

Nice. You can hear the influence this had on later players.

User Info Menu

Hey all, I'm happy to keep thing going, but anybody got some favorites to share?

User Info Menu

I always dug Hy White’s intros/ features on Woody Herman’s Blues Upstairs and River Bed Blues.

User Info Menu

A favorite by Reuss with Jack Teagarden’s band:

User Info Menu

Hi guys! This is my first forum post. Really interesting thread and I thought it would be great to contribute. Here is a really nice solo by George Van Eps. It's my first attempt at using Soundslice, so having a few stumbling blocks with the programme, but I'll try and do another transcription in this style soon.

Cheers!

George Van Eps - Dinner for One Please James - Ray Noble | Soundslice

User Info Menu

Here is a nice two bar introduction to the Hoagy Carmichael song I Get Along Without You Very Well, played by the Lew Stone Band. Discogs lists the guitarist as Dan Perri?

Dan Perri? - I Get Along Without You Very Well - Lew Stone & His Band | Soundslice

I've been really enjoying listening to everybody's recommendations so far!
    Last edited by Dean7887; 04-23-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

User Info Menu

I thought I would add just one more - Carmen Mastren's solo on Squeeze Me, with Bechet-Spanier and The Big Four. This is one of my favourite solos by Carmen Mastren, who I believe is one of the most underrated players of the era.

Carmen Mastren - Squeeze Me - Bechet-Spanier Big Four | Soundslice

User Info Menu

Dean7887 is doing all the heavy lifting while I wasn't looking. Thanks for sharing all of these.

User Info Menu

this is great guys ,
    im away from my guitar at the mo but
    will check these out in a couple of days

great thread

User Info Menu

Tracking down solos and interludes by some of these players can be tough because they were sidemen, so their name is never the "artist" to search for. A friend of mine put together this playlist of Allan Reuss tracks.

All of the big solos are on here, as well as a lot of tracks where he's just playing nicely audible rhythm guitar.
    Allan Reuss, My Favorite Guitarist - YouTube

The major ones to check out:
    "If I Could Be with You" BG 1936 (full chorus solo and there's also an earlier 1935 version with a different solo)
    "Rosetta" BG 1936 (bridge solo)
    "Love Me or Leave Me" BG 1936 (bridge solo)
    "Here's Love in Your Eye" Teddy Wilson 1936 (4 bar intro with one of Reuss's classic pet licks)
    "Judy" Lionel Hampton 1937 (intro, and two interludes - plus, he's basically soloing through the first chorus)
    "Rhythm, Rhythm" Lionel Hampton 1937 (half chorus solo)
    "Coquette" Teddy Wilson 1937 (4 bar intro)
    "Wolverine Blues" Jack Teagarden 1939 (half chorus solo - and there are two live airchecks of this arrangement, each with an early electric solo, months before Charlie Christian's debut)
    "Pickin' for Patsy" Jack Teagarden 1939 (a full feature "concerto" for Reuss)
    "Sorghum Switch" Jimmy Dorsey 1942 (intro, and outro solo, on electric)
    "Stuffy" Coleman Hawkins 1945 (bridge solo)
    "I'm Beginning to See the Light" Harry James 1945 (intro, interlude AND outro - quintessential Reuss)
    "You Know It" Corky Corcoran 1945 (full chorus solo - and there's an alternate take)
    "Lullabye of the Leaves" Corky Corcoran 1945 (great intro)
    All of the tunes with the Arnold Ross Quartet ft. Benny Carter 1946
    "I Never Knew" Peck's Bad Boys 1946 (full chorus solo)

User Info Menu

Then there's this quick intro by a young Dave Barbour on Teddy Wilson/Billie Holiday's "Spreadin' Rhythm Around"

User Info Menu

And here's another Carmen Mastren solo on "Four or Five Times" with the Bechet-Spanier Big Four

User Info Menu

Wow, these are great Jonathan! I'll definitely be checking everything out on the playlist and I'll do my best to transcribe as many as possible in the coming months.

I love the Dave Barbour intro and the Carmen Mastren solo on Four or Five Times is another favourite of mine. Here's my attempt at a transcription of it: Carmen Mastren - Four or Five Times - Bechet-Spanier Big Four | Soundslice

User Info Menu

Here's some great playing on Moonburn. I think the guitarist is Bobby Sherwood:

User Info Menu

Dick McDonough's playing is fantastic throughout this track:

User Info Menu

Oh and I thought it would be nice to post a recording from this era by some fellow Brits. Here we have Albert Harris, Joe Young and George Elliott.

Albert worked with Carmen Mastren on some of his published sheet music such as Two Moods and Lament in E, which can be found in the Masters of Plectrum Guitar book. In his later years he worked with artists such as Barbra Streisand, Cher and Roberta Flack. One of his classical compositions was even played by Segovia!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    So distinct from the way of playing solo guitar using chord melody, the swing-era saw chord-melody guitar in a band context, often as an introduction or interlude, and occasionally with a proper solo...Also, these little cameo chord-melody moments are often introductions, or interludes, or setting up a key change... so that's kind of it's own special thing...I hope there might be some other folks interested in this kind of thing. Cheers
    A terrible loss to the guitar community. I think they used to be called the Verse, while the main song was the Chorus. They're really a lot of fun.
    Your guitar intro reminds a little me of that singer who was famous for singing Vo-Dee-Oh-Do out of a cardboard megaphone.

Here's a teaspoon of Eddie Lang:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    I always dug Hy White’s intros/ features on Woody Herman’s Blues Upstairs and River Bed Blues.