The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to my 554th solo fingerstyle jazz guitar arrangement video on YouTube, another classic jazz standard "Satin Doll" by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. More experimentation with my Gibson ES175: As I didn't totally like my sound last week, it sounded dull/dead to me, I tried something new and unusual, blending a little bit of the camera mic to catch a little of the acoustic sound. I had to link the audio by eye to match the two wave forms so it's impossible to know if they are exactly on, but I got it as close as I could. As a result, there is a little extra noise, the furnace, footsteps upstairs, etc. Along those lines, I have abandoned any quest for perfection - this is a first and only take, mistakes and all. Let me know what you think.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me.

User Info Menu

Excellent. That was a real treat to listen to and watch you navigate through.

User Info Menu

Simple. Jake plays from the heart. And its HIS heart, not a copy of Wes or Jimmy.
    This is how it should be done.
    Kudos Jake you are one of the best here and people should be bowing down to you not dead and gone guitarists. I wish i could combine my studies with Tal and Jakes influence.
    maybe someday but until then im with Jake)))

User Info Menu

What strikes me about this performance is its second nature: effortlessness of playing converted approximately 1:1 into pleasure for the listener.

I like to imagine a video wall—in, say, a public transit pedestrian corridor—rotating the best of Jake’s 500+ arrangements, where visitors with Bluetooth earbuds can touchstream any JR performance and linger, or keep moving/listening until the audio signal fades.

The screens could feature stills of the composers—this tophatted Ellington, Stevie Wonder beaded dreads—intercut with Jake’s performances.

(Hello Detroit, anyone in arts/music curation listening? If you build it, they will come—worshipful jazzers, open-eared children on field trips, then destination tourists will follow.

(P.S. This could be as deservedly and richly done in Edinburgh with Robb MacKillop’s videos.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    Sounds good to me.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Excellent. That was a real treat to listen to and watch you navigate through.
    Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Simple. Jake plays from the heart. And its HIS heart, not a copy of Wes or Jimmy.
    This is how it should be done.
    Kudos Jake you are one of the best here and people should be bowing down to you not dead and gone guitarists. I wish i could combine my studies with Tal and Jakes influence.
    maybe someday but until then im with Jake)))

User Info Menu

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    What strikes me about this performance is its second nature: effortlessness of playing converted approximately 1:1 into pleasure for the listener.

I like to imagine a video wall—in, say, a public transit pedestrian corridor—rotating the best of Jake’s 500+ arrangements, where visitors with Bluetooth earbuds can touchstream any JR performance and linger, or keep moving/listening until the audio signal fades.

The screens could feature stills of the composers—this tophatted Ellington, Stevie Wonder beaded dreads—intercut with Jake’s performances.

(Hello Detroit, anyone in arts/music curation listening? If you build it, they will come—worshipful jazzers, open-eared children on field trips, then destination tourists will follow.

(P.S. This could be as deservedly and richly done in Edinburgh with Robb MacKillop’s videos.)