The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi all. I have decided to work on Tim Lerch's Truefire course "Solo Jazz Pathways: Harmonic Enhancement" and I'm wondering if there are a few here that would like to study it with me. Here is a link. As I don't feel comfortable posting clips of myself here on the forum I would like to do the study groupoff the forum. A closed facebook group feels handy but I'm open to other social media platforms as well.

In the course Tim explore a series of harmonic enhancements through five well-known songs. For each, He'll first show a simple solo arrangement built around the melody to serve as your harmonic foundation. And then show you a variety of powerful approaches to help you orchestrate more colorful and sophisticated harmony - each of which you can also apply to virtually any other songs in your repertoire.

The songs in the course are:
    Red river valley
    Amazing Grace
    Twinkle twinkle little star
    Oh Danny boy
    And the Gershwin standard "Lady be good" where Tim accompanies himself while he sings.

For every tune there are three versions, one basic version often with basic chords in first position and then two versions with more colorful chords and more advanced harmony.

In the study group we will learn Tim Lerch's arrangements and at the same time make our own arrangement of a song we choose applying the same concepts that Tim does. This means that for every song we will make three arrangements, One basic and two more advanced and post a video for each arrangement. Ideally we will also post a video of us playing Tim's arrangements as well. We will all work on different songs that we like but I would like it if the songs we choose to work on are simple songs similar to the ones Tim has chosen for this course.

As for a time frame I'm thinkin that 10 days for each arrangement is enough. It's important that it doesn't take to long to finnish the course. I don't count the basic version so that means about 20 days for each song but I'm open to suggestions and changes. I have an audio interface on order so I'm not ready yet to start recording anything. I will probably start looking at the material this weekend but I think that the study group will be up and running in about two to three weeks time. If this sounds interesting and you think you would have the time to do it please write something here or send me a pm.
    Last edited by Desm0nd; 01-10-2021 at 05:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm glad you posted this :-)

I recently bought the Howard Morgen course - and very good it is too - but have been looking around (Truefire) for something that grabs my attention with some full songs to learn... not paid Tim Lerch any attention previously but he plays those tunes how I imagine I'd like to play them in my head (not how I actually can play in the real world mind!).

I'm up for this but I'd suggest using the forum as opposed to a a closed FB group - the worst that will happen is absolutely everyone else will ignore it - on the other hand, someone (one of the real guitarists) might look in and explain in terms that even I understand why for example Dm7 is partner in crime to G7 (I would have thought Em7, with Em being the relative minor of G?) From the 1-5 study part 1 starting on the Cmaj 7.

That was a long winded way of saying I fancy this....

User Info Menu

Great to see some interest. Hopefully a few more want to join.
    About the question. The G7 is the five-chord of the key of C. And to create harmonic movement the five-chord can often be preceded by the two-chord of that key. It will be turned into a 2-5-1 progression. Try it for yourself in a pop or folk song. When you usully play C G C instead play C Dm G C and see how it sounds.
    Last edited by Desm0nd; 01-10-2021 at 04:19 AM.

User Info Menu

I have difficulties with the concept of a "Truefire Curse" [especially one coming from the admirable Tim Lerch] but anything may be possible in the digital age!

Cheers

User Info Menu

Haha. How would one otherwise want to start off the new year other than with a curse =)
    The thread name is changed!

User Info Menu

Thanks Desm0nd, that makes sense :-)

Going to crack on with the One-Five study part one now, a simple melody managed to get rather complex pretty quick! I wouldn't be surprised if this first section alone takes (me) a full week, and then here's another 8 variations again after that :-)

User Info Menu

I'm focusing on solo/chord-melody playing this year. I have the annual all-access Truefire subscription so I took a look a this one.

I am interested in adding one of the Truefire courses to my practice routine this year, but do you think someone should go through the 'Chordal Improv' course before this 'Harmonic Enhancement' edition? I meant to, but never started the Chordal Improv course when it came out. Trying to be more focused this year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I'm focusing on solo/chord-melody playing this year. I have the annual all-access Truefire subscription so I took a look a this one.

I am interested in adding one of the Truefire courses to my practice routine this year, but do you think someone should go through the 'Chordal Improv' course before this 'Harmonic Enhancement' edition? I meant to, but never started the Chordal Improv course when it came out. Trying to be more focused this year.
    The courses are part of the same style but adresses two different things and are not built upon one or the other. This course deals with adding harmonic movement and ways to expanding the harmony of an arrangement. The Chordal improv course deals with what to do when you have played your arrangement or wants to take a solo while duo-comping. Both courses seem great though.

User Info Menu

I will start going through the course next week. PM me if you're interested in participating. All participants are not forum members so I will be off forum in a facebook group.

User Info Menu

pm sent.

User Info Menu

Just checking in to see how the group is progressing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Just checking in to see how the group is progressing?
    Hi. I would say that it is progressing very well. We are now finished with the second song and three to go. Its a very focused study group with assignments =)
    But...we are only two members. I will keep the study group going with new solo guitar-courses once this one is finished and hopefully more will join in then.

User Info Menu

Are new people welcome to the group?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Desm0nd
    Hi. I would say that it is progressing very well. We are now finished with the second song and three to go. Its a very focused study group with assignments =)
    But...we are only two members. I will keep the study group going with new solo guitar-courses once this one is finished and hopefully more will join in then.
    Pm sent

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Are new people welcome to the group?
    Hi. Yes please join! The only rule of the group is that you participate, are active and do the assignments. I do not want lurkers.
    I will pm you with a link to the group.