Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Welcome to my 546th solo fingerstyle jazz guitar arrangement video on YouTube, "I Remember Clifford" by Benny Golson. What's there to say about this jazz masterpiece? It is actually not played much at casual jazz settings, probably because it's a long form, and a slow ballad, at that. Also, a quirky form (7 measure intro, for one thing) makes this not a tune you hear a lot live... I have been challenged to create a solo guitar version and subsequent full video lesson (coming soon!) so here it is, hope you enjoy it!


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    No one?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Hi Jake

    Really nice work. Love the sound you get with that little ‘ol Ibanez while everyone is chasing L5’s

    Chords sound good, single lines sound good, all around fun to hear.
    Thank you...
    d

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, I appreciate you tuning in!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi Jake

    Really nice work. Love the sound you get with that little ‘ol Ibanez while everyone is chasing L5’s

    Chords sound good, single lines sound good, all around fun to hear.
    Thank you...
    d

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Great tune; I have been slowly memorising it for years, so it's interesting to hear your voicing choices. As you say, not often played, and not an easy tune to provide an interesting improv over the form. Not because the changes don't lay perfectly - they do, all Benny Golson tunes usually do- but more that it's hard to improve on that melody.

    If you're reading the tune - respect!!! Thanks for the vid. And as someone said, L5 clearly not necessary.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Off topic question: What drew you back to your Ibanez?

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Thanks very much! Yes, reading, you can see I'm looking off to the side at a chart. But I have listened carefully to several versions ahead of time to get in the right frame of mind... :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Great tune; I have been slowly memorising it for years, so it's interesting to hear your voicing choices. As you say, not often played, and not an easy tune to provide an interesting improv over the form. Not because the changes don't lay perfectly - they do, all Benny Golson tunes usually do- but more that it's hard to improve on that melody.

    If you're reading the tune - respect!!! Thanks for the vid. And as someone said, L5 clearly not necessary.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Because it's cheap... Like me! ;-) It's just the guitar I use most, it's light and... cheap. I don't really make a fuss about which guitar I use, string type and gauge and neck setup are a far bigger deal to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Off topic question: What drew you back to your Ibanez?

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Well don’t ever take the blue tape off! There is nothing cooler!
    Did you leave the Super 58 pup in it or swap it out? I swapped my AF200 Super 58 out for a Fralin, but I use flats and a pick, not fingers and rounds. Much fuller sound.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I thought that was just lovely! I wish I could do that. I have 5+ decades focused in a different direction. It seems I'm gonna need at least one more reincarnation...

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Very nicely done, I've been waiting for this!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    No worries, the tape is staying... :-) I have no idea about the pickup, it's whatever came with the guitar...

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Well don’t ever take the blue tape off! There is nothing cooler!
    Did you leave the Super 58 pup in it or swap it out? I swapped my AF200 Super 58 out for a Fralin, but I use flats and a pick, not fingers and rounds. Much fuller sound.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Appreciate it!

    Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I thought that was just lovely! I wish I could do that. I have 5+ decades focused in a different direction. It seems I'm gonna need at least one more reincarnation...

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Thanks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Very nicely done, I've been waiting for this!