The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanT
    That's one of my favorite tunes. Excellent.

Forget the advice on the amp, strings and new guitar. Keep going. The gear change will inevitably happen naturally. Practice won't.

You are inspiring.

User Info Menu

What’s your approach here? I’m assuming you already know these tunes fairly well and are trying to see what comes out “on the fly” each day.

I’ve been working with a teacher and the brunt of my practice time since the pandemic started has been writing and practicing one-chorus arrangements of just one tune, Autumn Leaves. I’ve put together three so far. One extremely basic bass note and melody arrangement with very little rhythmic interest—basically oompah bass notes on the 1 and 3 of each bar. The second arrangement was way more involved harmonically, but it seemed to suffer from waaay too much rubato and not enough swing. A case of “just because you can write doesn’t mean you can play it”, I think. My current arrangement is much simpler harmonically and I’m focusing on getting the syncopation and swing feel down. That’s been 9 months of practice for me, although admittedly a lot that time is spent trying different sounds out for each melody line.

I think you are pretty accomplished already to be able to pull of these one-day arrangements. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    What’s your approach here? I’m assuming you already know these tunes fairly well and are trying to see what comes out “on the fly” each day.

I’ve been working with a teacher and the brunt of my practice time since the pandemic started has been writing and practicing one-chorus arrangements of just one tune, Autumn Leaves. I’ve put together three so far. One extremely basic bass note and melody arrangement with very little rhythmic interest—basically oompah bass notes on the 1 and 3 of each bar. The second arrangement was way more involved harmonically, but it seemed to suffer from waaay too much rubato and not enough swing. A case of “just because you can write doesn’t mean you can play it”, I think. My current arrangement is much simpler harmonically and I’m focusing on getting the syncopation and swing feel down. That’s been 9 months of practice for me, although admittedly a lot that time is spent trying different sounds out for each melody line.

I think you are pretty accomplished already to be able to pull of these one-day arrangements. Nice work!
    Thanks, I do know most of these tunes pretty well, I learned "I Should Care" for a couple days before recording that one because I was having trouble with the form. If I'm having trouble I'll do as you said and just play the bass note and melody, or try root and third, root and sevenths, just small chords and the melody, this has actually been something i've been focused on lately, just trying to play little chords that move. Also if I can't find a voicing or dont think the phrasing is correct when I play chords with it i'll just omit the chord and play the phrase. Hope this helps!

just a melody today