User Info Menu

Not much to say, Rip Sean Connery...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As ever, really nice playing, Jake. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the headsup about SC.

RIP Sir Sean... at least an overly complex mechanism concieved by a villain bent on world domination was not involved...

Seriously, though, I was about 7 years old when I saw Goldfinger and from that moment forward, my friends and I all wanted to be spies for the remainder of the 60s. That or astronauts, as the Gemini and Apollo programs were the real-life counterpart to the fantastic fictional technologies that were a hallmark of Bond films. The Bond films also featured cutting-edge real-life technologies, like SCUBA and jet packs. The Beatles rounded out that pop-culture trifecta; rock star, astronaut or spy was a pretty heady set of potential career choices for a kid my age :-)

Wishing peace to Sean Connery's family and to his fans the world over.

PS: wasn't it Tommy Tedesco that played the iconic twangy-guitar Bond theme?

User Info Menu

British session guitarist Vic Flick played the iconic theme.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    As ever, really nice playing, Jake. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the headsup about SC.

RIP Sir Sean... at least an overly complex mechanism concieved by a villain bent on world domination was not involved...

Seriously, though, I was about 7 years old when I saw Goldfinger and from that moment forward, my friends and I all wanted to be spies for the remainder of the 60s. That or astronauts, as the Gemini and Apollo programs were the real-life counterpart to the fantastic fictional technologies that were a hallmark of Bond films. The Bond films also featured cutting-edge real-life technologies, like SCUBA and jet packs. The Beatles rounded out that pop-culture trifecta; rock star, astronaut or spy was a pretty heady set of potential career choices for a kid my age :-)

Wishing peace to Sean Connery's family and to his fans the world over.

PS: wasn't it Tommy Tedesco that played the iconic twangy-guitar Bond theme?
    Thanks, agree on all points! It wasn't Tommy T though, this was always a fully British production, interesting song notes here including a hilarious anecdote by guitarist Vic Flick ShieldSquare Captcha

User Info Menu

Well played, Mr. Bond! (I couldn't resist.)

RIP, Sean.

Funny movie silliness from years ago. I was serving at a Mass with then-bishop of Palm Beach Sean O'Malley (now the archbishop of Boston) and it was held at a multiplex movie theater called The Rave. (This was in the 'baby' parish of St. Bernadette and a church had not yet been built, so daily Mass was said in a Lutheran church and Sunday Mass in a movie theater.)
    The woman who made the announcements before the Mass, doubtless influenced by the locataion, introduced him as Bishop Sean Connery.
    A good laugh was had by all, including Bishop O'Malley.

User Info Menu

From the Wikipedia article James Bond Theme

The "James Bond Theme" was recorded on 21 June 1962, using five saxophones, nine brass instruments, a solo guitar and a rhythm section.[1] The guitar motif heard in the original recording of the theme was played by Vic Flick on a 1939 English Clifford Essex Paragon Deluxe guitar plugged into a Fender Vibrolux amplifier. Flick was paid a one-off fee of £6 for recording the famous James Bond Theme motif.[2] John Scott played the saxophone. Barry, who was paid £250 for his work, was surprised that his theme appeared so often in Dr. No. He was told by Noel Rogers, the head of United Artists Music, that though the producers would not give him any more money or a writing credit they would get in touch with him if there was another Bond film made.