Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    This is my version of Wichita lineman. I hope you like it. All comments are welcome.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Really nice version! The BBC called the song ...

    one of those rare songs that seems somehow to exist in a world of its own – not just timeless but ultimately outside of modern music.

    I think that's correct. If there's a more perfect pop song, I haven't heard it. I arranged it for lap steel a while back but never got around to recording it.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cesarguit
    This is my version of Wichita lineman. I hope you like it. All comments are welcome.

    Nice playing! This one has been on my "to learn" list for a while. If you haven't heard the Johnny A version, it's worth checking out. There's something weird about the audio in this youtube clip tho - it sounds sort of glitchy or bubbly - the CD does not have that problem.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    It is certainly an incredible song, never get tired of hearing it. Jimmy Weeb is one of the greatest songwriters.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    there are many versions. I especially like Ben Monder’s.


  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Nice job Cesar!


    Here is the one from Johnny A. to check out, y'all.


  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Cassandra Wilson's is my all time favorite. The sparse and deconstructed arrangement really let the beauty of the composition shine. And the guitar playing isn't too shabby either.


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    James Taylor’s is one of my favorites.

    Last edited by cesarguit; 09-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Very very nice cesarguit!

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cesarguit
    there are many versions. I especially like Ben Monder’s.

    Holy sh**. That was awesome. Ben Monder never disappoints (for me anyway).

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cesarguit
    This is my version of Wichita lineman. I hope you like it. All comments are welcome.
    Nice! I liked it.

    If open to one hopefully-constructive comment, I think in terms of both dynamic and volume/eq the melody could have been brought out more; bass notes boomed through and I could tell the melody was there but dynamically a little bit like a background to the bass motion. So part of that's the EQ, but also on a gentle and subtle arrangement like this just giving a little bit more pick attack to the melody notes can go a long way, imo, in communicating the tune.

    I arranged this one a few years ago, it's a great song.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I agree with you, is something I have to work on. Thanks for the comment.
    Last edited by cesarguit; 09-11-2020 at 10:50 AM.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    the og version was by glen campbell...here with ultra-cool teisco six string bass solo...



    cheers

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Webb's song is a real standout. Cesarguit hits a homerun with it, IMO.

    Then, again, it's a tough pop song to mutilate. It just oozes soul...don't mean Motown (though Webb _did_ work as a Motown writer/arranger/manager), but heart-aching, deep-feeling, soul.

    IMO, Jimmy Webb was a song craftsman who, along with Randy Newman was turning out stuff that will be latter-day Great American Songbook material in the fullness of time.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Very very nice cesarguit!
    beautiful man

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Webb's song is a real standout. Cesarguit hits a homerun with it, IMO.

    Then, again, it's a tough pop song to mutilate. It just oozes soul...don't mean Motown (though Webb _did_ work as a Motown writer/arranger/manager), but heart-aching, deep-feeling, soul.

    IMO, Jimmy Webb was a song craftsman who, along with Randy Newman was turning out stuff that will be latter-day Great American Songbook material in the fullness of time.

    I agree with you, it is one of the most beautiful songs ever written

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    My humble attempt:


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Beautifully done.

    My chord melody repertoire consists of about 25 tunes--all from the Great American Songbook era. I find that most people have never heard these tunes before. So, I've been trying to add "newer" tunes--in the case of Wichita Lineman new means 52 years since release--hoping that the younger listeners might recognize them.

    Tony D.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Deleted by me..

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    Deleted by me..
    Reposted by me:
    "Just because you pick it out of the strings doesn't itself mean it's jazz, or even good jazz.... Some posts are cute, but ..........
    I mean, I've heard some vanilla stuff, but this is downright as soulful as toothpaste, folks !! Sorry if you don't like it, but.......
    You put it out there...I'll critique it... Used to be called 'telling it like it is'...Or, would you rather be placated (or, play-catered)?"
    As I said before" All comments are welcome"
    Thanks you for your constructive comment MarklnLA.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the og version was by glen campbell...here with ultra-cool teisco six string bass solo...



    cheers
    the string arrangement on glens version is wonderfull too

    i love the morse code type figure in the high strings signifying information going down the ‘wires’
    classic

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cesarguit
    Reposted by me:
    "Just because you pick it out of the strings doesn't itself mean it's jazz, or even good jazz.... Some posts are cute, but ..........
    I mean, I've heard some vanilla stuff, but this is downright as soulful as toothpaste, folks !! Sorry if you don't like it, but.......
    You put it out there...I'll critique it... Used to be called 'telling it like it is'...Or, would you rather be placated (or, play-catered)?"
    As I said before" All comments are welcome"
    Thanks you for your constructive comment MarklnLA.

    I assuming MarkInLA was talking about my Wichita.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I assuming MarkInLA was talking about my Wichita.
    Your Wichita or my wichita, is the same. The comment I think is totally inappropriate

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Cesarguit, please don't let negative comments get you down. Jazz guitar can be many things and your version of this tune is beautiful.
    We are all lifelong learners in art and music is not a contest.

    Jimmy Webb's book "Tunesmith" is a very good read that illuminates all the hard work, strong knowledge of music theory and craftsmanship that underlie Webb's songwriting.

    https://www.amazon.com/Tunesmith-Inside-Songwriting-Jimmy-Webb/dp/0786884886/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2DB5C5UY6NRKL&dchild=1&keywords=ji mmy+webb+book&qid=1600087987&sprefix=jimmy+webb%2C aps%2C149&sr=8-2

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cesarguit
    Your Wichita or my wichita, is the same. The comment I think is totally inappropriate
    Yes. Also a post like that contributes ZERO value to this forum.

  27. #26
    The man who used to play keys on Velvet Darkness by Allan Holdsworth has a great version of this song. I dont know how to post it,but jazz fans will like it!

  28. #27
    Alan Pasqua

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Dig this one :

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    A recently released version with Frisell on guitar:


  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Nice job Cesar!


    Here is the one from Johnny A. to check out, y'all.

    GTRman , I owe you one. I never heard of Johnny A until your post. Now I’m hooked. Been watching everything I can find on him on YouTube. This guy is really good.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    The man who used to play keys on Velvet Darkness by Allan Holdsworth has a great version of this song. I dont know how to post it,but jazz fans will like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Alan Pasqua
    Yes. Just, "Yes."



    Alan Pasqua, piano
    Darek "Oles" Oleskiewicz, double-bass
    Peter Erskine, drums

  33. #32
    good job

  34. #33
    i meant to tell the guy with epi good job

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    A recently released version with Frisell on guitar:

    great! has shades of ennio morricone, toots thielemans, angelo badalamenti...nice

    cheers

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Johnny A is a terrific chord melody arranger and precise guitarist in the way that Chet Atkins was precise - nailing the feel, notes placed in perfect time and great taste. With the advent of looper pedals he's also a one-man band. He did an amazing version of the 60s classic "The Letter" live at the New England amp show last year ... feet a blur as he worked about 20 pedals.