The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Welcome to my 524th solo guitar arrangement video, Funnels by Allan Holdsworth. A couple of weeks ago I shared a live clip of my self performing Funnels in a solo guitar format, some of you may remember. As I have just come up with the arrangement, it was a little shaky but at least well intended, haha… I mentioned that I will shortly present a properly recorded version and so, here it is.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That’s really nice, Jake.

I always feel inspired to go practice after watching your clips.

User Info Menu

Superb Jake - inspiring. I know little enough about Holdsworth's work, but I found that compelling. Thank you for all your input.

David

PS 31 comments on this clip on You Tube and only two here?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    That’s really nice, Jake.

I always feel inspired to go practice after watching your clips.
    Thanks so much!! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Superb Jake - inspiring. I know little enough about Holdsworth's work, but I found that compelling. Thank you for all your input.

David

PS 31 comments on this clip on You Tube and only two here?!
    Really appreciate it! Yeah, I don't know what the story is, I really don't get many comments/feedback here in general. It's true that I do post lots of videos to YouTube but pretty much all of it is real good quality, maybe folks here think it's too much? My weekly output is substantial and consistent, it's what I do, nothing I intend to change about that... Oh well! :-)

User Info Menu

Maybe it's because you play what looks like a simple, more than adequate Artcore and concentrate more on the music than collecting shiny objects. Unforgivable!

Keep 'em coming.

David

User Info Menu

Maybe it's because you play what looks like a simple, more than adequate Artcore and concentrate more on the music than collecting shiny objects. Unforgivable!

Keep 'em coming.

David
    Who knows... But thanks and I will! :-)

User Info Menu

I love this forum and have learned a lot.

However, it is shocking at how much focus is on gear versus producing music. Gear and theory posts get lots of attention; crickets for actual music.

I guess that's the new world - where performing/productive musicians are outnumbered by people at home posting about strings, amps, and guitars.

'Time on the instrument' is more important than the next acquisition. I have a room full of guitars. None of them are holding me back. Each keystroke is time away from the instrument and getting better as a player.
    Last edited by rictroll; 07-24-2020 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    I love this forum and have learned a lot.

However, it is shocking at how much focus is on gear versus producing music. Gear and theory posts get lots of attention; crickets for actual music.

I guess that's the new world - where performing/productive musicians are outnumbered by people at home posting about strings, amps, and guitars.

'Time on the instrument' is more important than the next acquisition. I have a room full of guitars. None of them are holding me back. Each keystroke is time away from the instrument ands getting better as a player.
    That does seem to be the case... :-/

User Info Menu

Loved the arrangement, Sir.
    Never really got deep into Alan's music but will definitely have to check.
    Also a bit of Metheny vibes in there?

Subscribed + bell

User Info Menu

Jake Reichbart won WEMU-FM’s Emily Remler scholarship for best jazz guitarist in 1991. Since then, he has been among the busiest guitarists in the greater Detroit region. As a sideman, he appears on countless recordings and jingles and has performed alongside Motown legends and jazz greats alike, logging over 4,600 live gigs.
    Reichbart’s passion, though, has always been solo guitar, citing Joe Pass, Tuck Andress and Tommy Emmanuel as his main influences, while creating a unique voice of his own. He can arrange for the guitar nearly any tune imaginable, drawing from any and every musical style. His CDs 16 Songs and Long Ago and Far Away have received nominations for best jazz recording at the Detroit Music Awards and have garnered rave reviews from such prestigious publications as All Music Guide, Just Jazz Guitar, and Cadence, as well as from numerous radio stations across the US and abroad.
    He has performed for two US presidents, the Michigan Governor's Inaugural Ball three times, and for countless other similar events. His instructional DVDs are distributed by the largest publisher in the world, Hal Leonard Corporation and he was featured on the front cover of the May 2012 issue of Just Jazz Guitar magazine, which included a lengthy interview and a transcription of one of his arrangements. Jake cites his most enjoyable solo work as being the “restaurant guitarist,” creating long-term relationships and enjoying a loyal following. For the past 20 years, he has been performing on Wednesday evenings at Ann Arbor’s most famous restaurant, The Earle.

User Info Menu

Jake, that is a gorgeous rendition of a very difficult Holdsworth piece (are there ANY easy ones?)!!!
    TY for sharing it!

User Info Menu

I love your playing Jake and look forward to all of your videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    Loved the arrangement, Sir.
    Never really got deep into Alan's music but will definitely have to check.
    Also a bit of Metheny vibes in there?

Subscribed + bell
    Appreciate the kind comment, absolutely, Metheny is an equal influence on me as Holdsworth!

User Info Menu

Jake Reichbart won WEMU-FM’s Emily Remler scholarship for best jazz guitarist in 1991. Since then, he has been among the busiest guitarists in the greater Detroit region. As a sideman, he appears on countless recordings and jingles and has performed alongside Motown legends and jazz greats alike, logging over 4,600 live gigs.
    Reichbart’s passion, though, has always been solo guitar, citing Joe Pass, Tuck Andress and Tommy Emmanuel as his main influences, while creating a unique voice of his own. He can arrange for the guitar nearly any tune imaginable, drawing from any and every musical style. His CDs 16 Songs and Long Ago and Far Away have received nominations for best jazz recording at the Detroit Music Awards and have garnered rave reviews from such prestigious publications as All Music Guide, Just Jazz Guitar, and Cadence, as well as from numerous radio stations across the US and abroad.
    He has performed for two US presidents, the Michigan Governor's Inaugural Ball three times, and for countless other similar events. His instructional DVDs are distributed by the largest publisher in the world, Hal Leonard Corporation and he was featured on the front cover of the May 2012 issue of Just Jazz Guitar magazine, which included a lengthy interview and a transcription of one of his arrangements. Jake cites his most enjoyable solo work as being the “restaurant guitarist,” creating long-term relationships and enjoying a loyal following. For the past 20 years, he has been performing on Wednesday evenings at Ann Arbor’s most famous restaurant, The Earle.
    As this was written about 8 years ago, the gig number is closer to 7,000 and I have been playing at The Earle almost 28 years...! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Jake, that is a gorgeous rendition of a very difficult Holdsworth piece (are there ANY easy ones?)!!!
    TY for sharing it!
    Thanks!