The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Last edited by Tal_175; 07-16-2020 at 12:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Who needs finger picking. Not even hybrid picking except in a very few places here and there more for the tonal effect (I mean most could also be strummed).
    Last edited by Tal_175; 07-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautifull.
    Some fragments are like adios nonino, by Piazzolla.

User Info Menu

This and Emily. Almost too pretty for my liking! :)

How he organizes the harmony. The way he uses double stops. How he can hold down a note while doing other things. Open strings. Seems like it's a lot about letting the guitar be a guitar. He is an inspiration.

And I love that he loves Ornette.

User Info Menu

The first two bars are exactly like adios nonino.

User Info Menu

Excellent!! Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

Julian Lage is an inspiration,

User Info Menu

The original is interesting. Ornette on trumpet? Didn't know he could play it that well.

User Info Menu

I am really hoping that pure plectrum picking is good enough for perfect chord melody solos...
    mainly insisting to this, because I have no skills neither hibrid picking neither multi finger classical picking for lines... :-)
    The only thing I can do is multi finger chords a la Joe Pass, and thumb pickig lines (painfully slowly)

However with all my respect this performance is sooo boring, that I can not emphasize enough... Yes I know, it makes no sense to arguing on taste and like, dislike so I just writing my opinion, trying to give some reasoning and whys

What first comes into my mind is from film/movie criticism. Do you ever heard or thought about a movie "it has great mood?" Well, it is the first class indicator, that the director had nothing to say, and you will have no thoughtwork after seeing the movie, nothing to discuss with friends, family, neither instantly after the cinema experincd, and neither in
    the next years, decades. Still "it has its mood". That is the best we can say about the movie and I am not satisfied with that.

Similarly this is exactly what is my perception about Julian's performance. It has its mood. No more no less. Julian has nothing to say, despite his intensive visual gestures. Do an experiment, and try to listening this music without seeing him. It becomes boring after 30 seconds or 15 minutes depending on your patience and hungriness of intellectual challange of jazz and hungriness of hearing a story. He tells nothing, just paints an ambient mood, but hey, a drone also can paint ambient mood for meditation, so that is not a jazz musical quality. If I want to meditate or relax I look for 3 hours endless forest bird chirp and creek recording in stereo on youtube

Again, I admit it has its mood. But it is not enough. I expect the performer say something, exactly as Coltrane has intended to do, more than half century ago, then Wes, then Bobby Broom, Peter Bernstein, JVR doing nowadays. Also PM has his intention to phrase thoughts and stories not just ambient mood. I think this performance is shallow, and has no intellectual challange. Maybe it could be a movie score in a movie which has "interesting mood"

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I am really hoping that pure plectrum picking is good enough for perfect chord melody solos...
    mainly insisting to this, because I have no skills neither hibrid picking neither multi finger classical picking for lines... :-)
    The only thing I can do is multi finger chords a la Joe Pass, and thumb pickig lines (painfully slowly)

However with all my respect this performance is sooo boring, that I can not emphasize enough... Yes I know, it makes no sense to arguing on taste and like, dislike so I just writing my opinion, trying to give some reasoning and whys

What first comes into my mind is from film/movie criticism. Do you ever heard or thought about a movie "it has great mood?" Well, it is the first class indicator, that the director had nothing to say, and you will have no thoughtwork after seeing the movie, nothing to discuss with friends, family, neither instantly after the cinema experincd, and neither in
    the next years, decades. Still "it has its mood". That is the best we can say about the movie and I am not satisfied with that.

Similarly this is exactly what is my perception about Julian's performance. It has its mood. No more no less. Julian has nothing to say, despite his intensive visual gestures. Do an experiment, and try to listening this music without seeing him. It becomes boring after 30 seconds or 15 minutes depending on your patience and hungriness of intellectual challange of jazz and hungriness of hearing a story. He tells nothing, just paints an ambient mood, but hey, a drone also can paint ambient mood for meditation, so that is not a jazz musical quality. If I want to meditate or relax I look for 3 hours endless forest bird chirp and creek recording in stereo on youtube

Again, I admit it has its mood. But it is not enough. I expect the performer say something, exactly as Coltrane has intended to do, more than half century ago, then Wes, then Bobby Broom, Peter Bernstein, JVR doing nowadays. Also PM has his intention to phrase thoughts and stories not just ambient mood. I think this performance is shallow, and has no intellectual challange. Maybe it could be a movie score in a movie which has "interesting mood"
    I guess these things are subjective. To the contrary, I find Jullian Lage to be a great story teller. I find that I'm glued to his performances because he's got creative ideas and I'm interested in what he is gonna say next or how is he gonna develop his ideas. He also doesn't sound like anybody else.

Of course solo performances (to me at least) are intrinsically limited and cannot in general sustain interest for as long as equally masterful ensemble, band or orchestra performances. Regardless of the solo instrument, even a piano is extremely limited in all dimensions relative to even a 3 piece band (timber and tone spectrum, interaction, arrangement possibilities), but as far as solo performances go that Juillian Lage video I think is pretty good.

I trained for classical and hybrid picking, but I prefer the tone I get with a pick on steel strings. That's why I'm interested in possibilities with just using a pick. I find that even Joe Pass sounded too thin most of the times when he used his fingers.

I actually find Jullian Lage's facial expressions very distracting and over the top. I try to ignore it and concentrate on the music.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 07-18-2020 at 07:21 AM.