The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

I don’t think you can qualify something in particular as the “be all end all of jazz guitar” other than actually just playing jazz on the guitar. Chord melody is a useful term to particularize one aspect of the style. Someone new to guitar who is fond of heavy handed solo chord work will find the term necessary. Chord melody and solo guitar will advertise different aspects whereas solo guitar will smuggle in some free form improv and less commitment to the harmony. All in all these terms are for the benefit of students and listeners. Among the players it doesn’t matter, we’re playing guitar.

I’m most turned on by frequent use of chords when blowing. I want that guitar to speak to me like a piano. This may be where folks consider chord melody an edge above solo lines but really it’s taking all the forms and putting them together. In the end, whatever swings is what matters.

To the OP point, chord melody is fun and challenging. I love playing chord melodies and I find the most rewarding part is writing my own arrangements. I could do that exclusively for a while but in the end I need to jam with others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just make sure it swings?

User Info Menu

For the most part yes. For clarity, let’s take Surry With The Fringe On Top. What is that tune without the swing? Not jazz. I’m sure we can agree Oklahoma is not a Jazz musical.

User Info Menu

I do!...same here, I lived in a swamp in south jersey..haha....playing solo guitar is now and has been awesume...I love it!