The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I enjoyed listening to this. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Webb. I don't think he get the attention he deserves.

User Info Menu

I'm not a great expert on Jimmy Webb's work but he has some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

"By the time I get to Phoenix" is one of my many "work is progess" arrangements.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    I enjoyed listening to this. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Webb. I don't think he get the attention he deserves.
    He is a legend among musicians older than , say, 50 or so while the young guns hardly look back these days.....

User Info Menu

I recorded Wichita Lineman for my forthcoming quartet album

User Info Menu

Wichita Lineman is another awesome song.

User Info Menu

I agree about Jimmy Webb. He is a very knowledgeable musician. I recommend his book "Tunesmith" which is part autobiography and part "how-to" guide for songwriters. Wichita Lineman is one of the most perfect, cinematic pop tunes every written.

The talk about Witchita Lineman reminded me of this version by Johnny A. I hadn't listened to it for a long time. It's not jazz but it is a nice interpretation. Good feel, good technique, never gets boring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Cement
    The talk about Witchita Lineman reminded me of this version by Johnny A. I hadn't listened to it for a long time. It's not jazz but it is a nice interpretation. Good feel, good technique, never gets boring.

Even REM covered Wichita Lineman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Even REM covered Wichita Lineman.
    I was frustrated about that because while I think Michael Stipe is a perfect singer for the song they did kind of mess the chords up.

User Info Menu

That was enjoyable. I have always thought the name Moon is a harsh mistress is intriguing.

I can feel this thread slipping into a Wichita Lineman thread, but this is gorgeous from one of my favourite YT guitarists:

Also the Stone Temple Pilots version with Glen is superior to the original, fight me.

User Info Menu

Thanks to Cesarguit for his interpretation of this wonderful song, very well played. The melody is incredibly beautiful, simple and melancholic. I think this tune is perfectly suited for acoustic or electric guitar. Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden did a great job when recorded it and left us an absolute gem. IMHO the best rendition, except for instrumental versions, is Joe Cocker's.

User Info Menu

I agree with you. Metheny's version is wonderful, like all His renditions , and also Joe Coker's version is my favorite of the vocal versions.

User Info Menu

I can't resist. This is not Jimmy Webb. But it's melodic enough that he could have. It's one of my favorite chord melodies.

User Info Menu

Beautiful interpretation of Webb's Moon/Mistress.

Pretty hard to find a better songwriter alive today than Webb. His range is awe inspiring. From "Paper Cup" or "Up, Up, and Away," to "Time Flies." Something else, again.

Last edited by Greentone; 06-29-2020 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

my contribution to this beautiful tune