The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

Here's one way to work on the first part of Tim Lerch's lessons. It's a 2-5-1backing track in the key of C by Quist. You can use it to noodle with some of Tim's changes and ideas. Start at 33 seconds and set the speed to 150% and it works pretty well.

Last edited by archtopeddy; 03-30-2020 at 12:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a heads up that this months tune on Matt Warnocks FB group Play Jazz Guitar is a jazz blues in G.

It's a great tie in with the jazz blues in Tim's course so that's what I'll be focusing on for this month (while still working on the ii-V-I's).

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party but I'll be working on this course during the lockdown.

When I ordered the course, I wasn't sure when I would have the time to commit to this kind of thing...it seems like a deep dive. But now that I find myself solo (musically) and in need of a pathway, it seems like the perfect time.

I'll try to post progress as I go along...I need some accountability and posting progress seems like the best I can do at the moment.

User Info Menu

Haven't seen this posted ?

TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles

User Info Menu

This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I idea.

Even though this is very solo-specific, it seems like it will help other aspects of my playing as well. It requires some technique, fretboard knowledge, and playing-of-changes in the process...that stuff has to seep into other parts of your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Haven't seen this posted ?

TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles
    This kind of thing is priceless to me. A/V issues notwithstanding, the implied knowledge
    in the demos is a goldmine of information on fingerstyle guitar playing. I saw only through
    the chat about "Do You Know What It Means". I love John's playing and have been
    a long-time Chet-style devotee. Fingerstyle Quartely, for those who don't know, is a
    valuable resource for that style. When Tim picks up the tune (using closed-position
    chords) my heart melts at the harmonies and I am so grateful for the ability to play
    a polyphonic instrument. Thanking the lord for my fingers, as Paul Simon wrote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I id
    Good approach, IMO. Build muscle memory.

I'm a little further along in the course and I'm happy to say that I am beginning to
    see Mr. Lerch repeating himself. Or, more likely, I recognize by sight and sound that
    he is using grips introduced earlier.

P.S. I first heard "grips" used by Don Stiernberg... maybe he got it from Jethro. Meaning
    two-three note shapes on the mandolin. Only four strings, so you really have to choose your
    chord tones carefully. I like it!

User Info Menu

Just started the course. Fantastic, challenging but Tim is a great teacher.

Many thanks Tim, cheers, Simon

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    True Fire has just released two new things that you might find interesting and helpful. The first is the live show I did after I shot Solo Jazz Pathways Chordal Improv. Its been up on YT since we did it but the new thing has all of the things I played transcribed so you can get some insights into my playing.
    The other new thing is a brand new course called Solo Jazz Pathways Harmonic Enhancement. Its an exploration of Enhanced harmony and re harmonization. I think it is a great companion to Chordal Improv.
    You can visit here to preview and order.
    Tim Lerch TrueFire | Tim Lerch

thank you for your continued supoort
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Well after a long break I'm starting back up on this course.

I'm starting right back at the beginning with the aim of applying the concepts to the changes of a tune.

A bit of support would be welcome to feel free to post your progress (and progressions

User Info Menu

Hi Tim,

Are the courses suitable for late beginners? Or they are more for intemediate to advanced players?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I think you'll find content that you can learn from in all of my courses but they are all so far intended for intermediate to advanced. but I have a course coming very soon (mid November we hope) that will be a good one to start with Its called Melodic Triads and focuses on using three note voicings with melodic movement.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Tim, keep us updated on this. I'm a novice to jazz guitar in certain aspects and an intermediate in others which makes it difficult at times to find the right instructional materials. I'm very interested in what you are about to offer.

User Info Menu

Just thought I let you all know I have released a new Solo Guitar Recording (digital download) thats available aw.timelrch.com

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Last night I skipped ahead to the jazz blues section (Section 5). I learned Tim's jazz blues format in Bb last night and had a quick go of improv this morning. It's a start but a long way to go......am enjoying the journey though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Last night I skipped ahead to the jazz blues section (Section 5). I learned Tim's jazz blues format in Bb last night and had a quick go of improv this morning. It's a start but a long way to go......am enjoying the journey though.

Yeah sometimes all the instructional material out these days can get overwhelming and distracting. Enjoy the journey is right. Just when you are working on one thing another course/book/video pops up and there you go on that tangent. So I am trying to concentrate on a few things at a time. I've got about a dozen solo pieces I keep working on and trying to refine; a Bb blues being one of them. I have Tim's course and went straight to that section. Despite what I said about being overwhelmed I will point you two other great sources for Bb blues ideas (there are many):

1) Emily Remler's Bebop and Swing Guitar

I prefer the newly released book version with downloadable video. Emily spends a lot of time on grooving with the metronome on 2 & 4 to a Bb blues

2) Mimi Fox's Flying Solo True Fire course - lots of Bb blues ideas

User Info Menu

Sounds nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Yeah sometimes all the instructional material out these days can get overwhelming and distracting. Enjoy the journey is right. Just when you are working on one thing another course/book/video pops up and there you go on that tangent. So I am trying to concentrate on a few things at a time. I've got about a dozen solo pieces I keep working on and trying to refine; a Bb blues being one of them. I have Tim's course and went straight to that section. Despite what I said about being overwhelmed I will point you two other great sources for Bb blues ideas (there are many):

1) Emily Remler's Bebop and Swing Guitar

I prefer the newly released book version with downloadable video. Emily spends a lot of time on grooving with the metronome on 2 & 4 to a Bb blues

2) Mimi Fox's Flying Solo True Fire course - lots of Bb blues ideas
    Thanks so much. I have the Mimi course. It's great, she's great and I'll revisit that course too.

I'm actually learning chord melody pieces to extend my busking repertoire so I have plenty on my plate now.

User Info Menu

I've jumped in with this too now. Starting it while working through Assembly Lines by Robert Conti. Gives me something else to think about while learning all the chord forms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    I've jumped in with this too now. Starting it while working through Assembly Lines by Robert Conti. Gives me something else to think about while learning all the chord forms.
    Welcome aboard. Feel free to post a video once in a while detailing your progress.

I find it's getting easier to improv ad lib but I still find it a little difficult to improvise over a set structure especially one that is moving fast.

User Info Menu

Feel free to post a video once in a while detailing your progress.
    I feel I'm a long way off subjecting folk to that yet (what comes before beginner at jazz guitar). However I've found this forum to be particularly inspirational and a far better use of time online than Reddit or Facebook etc.

Really motivating.

User Info Menu

So I woke up at 3:30am and ended up in the music room to try my hand at a bossa improv. The seed has been planted, it's not great yet but I can see the potential.... and that'll be enough to keep me going.

How are you all doing with this course?

User Info Menu

So I woke up at 3:30am and ended up in the music room to try my hand at a bossa improv. The seed has been planted, it's not great yet but I can see the potential.... and that'll be enough to keep me going.

How are you all doing with this course?

Sounds good. Although I'd question whether practicing at half 3 in the morning is the most productive time to be working on your chops.

This one is on the to do list for me. Hopefully it's all gonna fit together nicely with a variety of other material that is starting to make sense to me now and this will be the cherry on top.

User Info Menu

Well this course is still part of my daily practise but truth be told I normally just play ii V I's and vi ii V I's (minors or dominants) and it is slowly coming together.

I can get the bass on 1 & 3, some syncopation, the open string bass notes thyat were discussed higher up in this thread so slowly, slowly it's all coming together.

That said I was improvising on the side of my son's bed last night and then we listened to one of Tim's videos on the course. His improvs still sound WAY better than mine.

To that extent I've taken a step backward and printed out the basic melody sections of each main section up to and including the jazz blues in order to analyze and try and play using the notes that Tim uses.

As with all things jazz guitar it's a matter of two steps forward, one and a half steps backwards.

Persistance is the key.

How is everyone else doing with this course?

Edit: Some observations from this mornings practise session

* Voicings make a difference - I was playing the usual Am7 barre at the 5th fret for Dm7 but Tim's Dm7 sounds much better. Try to incorporate these new shapes into your daily playing so that they become second nature.

* I prefer a wider neck. I play an Ibanez AFJ85 but would prefer a wider neck still. I'll probably experiment with making my own guitar at some stage in order to find the ideal neck width for this type of playing. So unfortunately a Tele won't suit me with their 42mm necks. A custom shop is too expensive for me.

I tend to get a lot of buzz higher up the fretboard using Tim's Dm7 shape for example. Does anyone else have this or similar problems?

* Repeat the exercises until memorized and you can play it without thinking. That way this type of playing will become engrained in your brain. I was practising exercise 4 ii V I in C adding a basic melody and adding an improv every other 8. Nice and slow....it sounded much better then my improv last night. Repeat in different keys.

* KISS - simple sounds effective. Get simple perfect then add fancier moves.

Does anyone else have any observations gathered from their practise regime from this course?
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 12-10-2020 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

His improvs still sound WAY better than mine.
    I would bet good money that because he's younger and not worrying about what he is playing and instead just playing.

Was a simpler time when I was younger.