Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Here's one way to work on the first part of Tim Lerch's lessons. It's a 2-5-1backing track in the key of C by Quist. You can use it to noodle with some of Tim's changes and ideas. Start at 33 seconds and set the speed to 150% and it works pretty well.

Last edited by archtopeddy; 03-30-2020 at 12:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Just a heads up that this months tune on Matt Warnocks FB group Play Jazz Guitar is a jazz blues in G.

It's a great tie in with the jazz blues in Tim's course so that's what I'll be focusing on for this month (while still working on the ii-V-I's).

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party but I'll be working on this course during the lockdown.

When I ordered the course, I wasn't sure when I would have the time to commit to this kind of thing...it seems like a deep dive. But now that I find myself solo (musically) and in need of a pathway, it seems like the perfect time.

I'll try to post progress as I go along...I need some accountability and posting progress seems like the best I can do at the moment.

User Info Menu

Haven't seen this posted ?

TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles

User Info Menu

This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I idea.

Even though this is very solo-specific, it seems like it will help other aspects of my playing as well. It requires some technique, fretboard knowledge, and playing-of-changes in the process...that stuff has to seep into other parts of your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Haven't seen this posted ?

TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles
    This kind of thing is priceless to me. A/V issues notwithstanding, the implied knowledge
    in the demos is a goldmine of information on fingerstyle guitar playing. I saw only through
    the chat about "Do You Know What It Means". I love John's playing and have been
    a long-time Chet-style devotee. Fingerstyle Quartely, for those who don't know, is a
    valuable resource for that style. When Tim picks up the tune (using closed-position
    chords) my heart melts at the harmonies and I am so grateful for the ability to play
    a polyphonic instrument. Thanking the lord for my fingers, as Paul Simon wrote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I id
    Good approach, IMO. Build muscle memory.

I'm a little further along in the course and I'm happy to say that I am beginning to
    see Mr. Lerch repeating himself. Or, more likely, I recognize by sight and sound that
    he is using grips introduced earlier.

P.S. I first heard "grips" used by Don Stiernberg... maybe he got it from Jethro. Meaning
    two-three note shapes on the mandolin. Only four strings, so you really have to choose your
    chord tones carefully. I like it!