Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 71 of 71
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Here's one way to work on the first part of Tim Lerch's lessons. It's a 2-5-1backing track in the key of C by Quist. You can use it to noodle with some of Tim's changes and ideas. Start at 33 seconds and set the speed to 150% and it works pretty well.

    Last edited by archtopeddy; 03-30-2020 at 12:17 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52
    Just a heads up that this months tune on Matt Warnocks FB group Play Jazz Guitar is a jazz blues in G.

    It's a great tie in with the jazz blues in Tim's course so that's what I'll be focusing on for this month (while still working on the ii-V-I's).

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    I'm late to the party but I'll be working on this course during the lockdown.

    When I ordered the course, I wasn't sure when I would have the time to commit to this kind of thing...it seems like a deep dive. But now that I find myself solo (musically) and in need of a pathway, it seems like the perfect time.

    I'll try to post progress as I go along...I need some accountability and posting progress seems like the best I can do at the moment.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Haven't seen this posted ?

    TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I idea.

    Even though this is very solo-specific, it seems like it will help other aspects of my playing as well. It requires some technique, fretboard knowledge, and playing-of-changes in the process...that stuff has to seep into other parts of your playing.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dot75 View Post
    Haven't seen this posted ?

    TrueFire Live: Tim Lerch & John Knowles
    This kind of thing is priceless to me. A/V issues notwithstanding, the implied knowledge
    in the demos is a goldmine of information on fingerstyle guitar playing. I saw only through
    the chat about "Do You Know What It Means". I love John's playing and have been
    a long-time Chet-style devotee. Fingerstyle Quartely, for those who don't know, is a
    valuable resource for that style. When Tim picks up the tune (using closed-position
    chords) my heart melts at the harmonies and I am so grateful for the ability to play
    a polyphonic instrument. Thanking the lord for my fingers, as Paul Simon wrote.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    This stuff is tough. I'm going slow and trying to smooth out the first single-note over ii-V-I id
    Good approach, IMO. Build muscle memory.

    I'm a little further along in the course and I'm happy to say that I am beginning to
    see Mr. Lerch repeating himself. Or, more likely, I recognize by sight and sound that
    he is using grips introduced earlier.

    P.S. I first heard "grips" used by Don Stiernberg... maybe he got it from Jethro. Meaning
    two-three note shapes on the mandolin. Only four strings, so you really have to choose your
    chord tones carefully. I like it!

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Just started the course. Fantastic, challenging but Tim is a great teacher.

    Many thanks Tim, cheers, Simon

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Hey guys,
    True Fire has just released two new things that you might find interesting and helpful. The first is the live show I did after I shot Solo Jazz Pathways Chordal Improv. Its been up on YT since we did it but the new thing has all of the things I played transcribed so you can get some insights into my playing.
    The other new thing is a brand new course called Solo Jazz Pathways Harmonic Enhancement. Its an exploration of Enhanced harmony and re harmonization. I think it is a great companion to Chordal Improv.
    You can visit here to preview and order.
    Tim Lerch TrueFire | Tim Lerch

    thank you for your continued supoort
    all the best
    Tim

  11. #60
    Well after a long break I'm starting back up on this course.

    I'm starting right back at the beginning with the aim of applying the concepts to the changes of a tune.

    A bit of support would be welcome to feel free to post your progress (and progressions

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Hi Tim,

    Are the courses suitable for late beginners? Or they are more for intemediate to advanced players?

    Thanks.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    I think you'll find content that you can learn from in all of my courses but they are all so far intended for intermediate to advanced. but I have a course coming very soon (mid November we hope) that will be a good one to start with Its called Melodic Triads and focuses on using three note voicings with melodic movement.
    Tim

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Tim, keep us updated on this. I'm a novice to jazz guitar in certain aspects and an intermediate in others which makes it difficult at times to find the right instructional materials. I'm very interested in what you are about to offer.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Just thought I let you all know I have released a new Solo Guitar Recording (digital download) thats available aw.timelrch.com

    all the best
    Tim

  16. #65
    Last night I skipped ahead to the jazz blues section (Section 5). I learned Tim's jazz blues format in Bb last night and had a quick go of improv this morning. It's a start but a long way to go......am enjoying the journey though.


  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Last night I skipped ahead to the jazz blues section (Section 5). I learned Tim's jazz blues format in Bb last night and had a quick go of improv this morning. It's a start but a long way to go......am enjoying the journey though.

    Yeah sometimes all the instructional material out these days can get overwhelming and distracting. Enjoy the journey is right. Just when you are working on one thing another course/book/video pops up and there you go on that tangent. So I am trying to concentrate on a few things at a time. I've got about a dozen solo pieces I keep working on and trying to refine; a Bb blues being one of them. I have Tim's course and went straight to that section. Despite what I said about being overwhelmed I will point you two other great sources for Bb blues ideas (there are many):

    1) Emily Remler's Bebop and Swing Guitar


    I prefer the newly released book version with downloadable video. Emily spends a lot of time on grooving with the metronome on 2 & 4 to a Bb blues


    2) Mimi Fox's Flying Solo True Fire course - lots of Bb blues ideas

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Last night I skipped ahead to the jazz blues section (Section 5). I learned Tim's jazz blues format in Bb last night and had a quick go of improv this morning. It's a start but a long way to go......am enjoying the journey though.

    Sounds nice!

  19. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post
    Yeah sometimes all the instructional material out these days can get overwhelming and distracting. Enjoy the journey is right. Just when you are working on one thing another course/book/video pops up and there you go on that tangent. So I am trying to concentrate on a few things at a time. I've got about a dozen solo pieces I keep working on and trying to refine; a Bb blues being one of them. I have Tim's course and went straight to that section. Despite what I said about being overwhelmed I will point you two other great sources for Bb blues ideas (there are many):

    1) Emily Remler's Bebop and Swing Guitar


    I prefer the newly released book version with downloadable video. Emily spends a lot of time on grooving with the metronome on 2 & 4 to a Bb blues


    2) Mimi Fox's Flying Solo True Fire course - lots of Bb blues ideas
    Thanks so much. I have the Mimi course. It's great, she's great and I'll revisit that course too.

    I'm actually learning chord melody pieces to extend my busking repertoire so I have plenty on my plate now.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    I've jumped in with this too now. Starting it while working through Assembly Lines by Robert Conti. Gives me something else to think about while learning all the chord forms.

  21. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker View Post
    I've jumped in with this too now. Starting it while working through Assembly Lines by Robert Conti. Gives me something else to think about while learning all the chord forms.
    Welcome aboard. Feel free to post a video once in a while detailing your progress.

    I find it's getting easier to improv ad lib but I still find it a little difficult to improvise over a set structure especially one that is moving fast.

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Feel free to post a video once in a while detailing your progress.
    I feel I'm a long way off subjecting folk to that yet (what comes before beginner at jazz guitar). However I've found this forum to be particularly inspirational and a far better use of time online than Reddit or Facebook etc.

    Really motivating.