Its wonderful .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Is that your own arangement Chris ?

Its wonderful .....
    Yes, it is my arrangement. thanks!

User Info Menu

Chris,
    I forgot to mention on my post on YouTube, that Borys sounds UNBELIEVEABLE.
    You are really doing a good job Chris. Keep it up. Looking good bro.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

That was incredibly beautiful, and your tone is amazing!

User Info Menu

I really appreciate your talent/expertise in re-harmonizing the tune und your technique is very refined and polished BUT I would have enjoyed this beautiful and sad song much more if you hadn't put so much "stuff" /embellishments into your playing ...
    IMHO it takes away from the emotional impact when the performer dazzels with too much technical wizzardry.

Please don't get me wrong, I know that it's a fine line we're talking about here but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say. This topic is important to me and has been with me for a very long time, been discussed many times and will not come to an end, I'm certain ! I have talked about this with (among others) Ralph Towner, Tommy Emmanuel, Pierre Bensusan and practically all of my former teachers : who are we playing for ? - would have been so great to learn what Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass and Trane would have to say about this ....

BTW. your Borys guitar sounds and looks wonderful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I really appreciate your talent/expertise in re-harmonizing the tune und your technique is very refined and polished BUT I would have enjoyed this beautiful and sad song much more if you hadn't put so much "stuff" /embellishments into your playing ...
    IMHO it takes away from the emotional impact when the performer dazzels with too much technical wizzardry.
    It’s all subjective I suppose, but honestly I would not have recognised Chris’ performance from your description. He basically just played the tune with some reharmonisation. As far as I’m concerned, he captured the mood of the tune beautifully.

I’m not sure where all the ‘technically dazzling’ stuff was. There was some arpeggiation of chords, a little counterpoint at the beginning, and a boppy little phrase to end it, but generally it seemed quite restrained to me.

User Info Menu

I thought the arrangement was very tasteful. The melody was always out front and easily discernible even with the very tasty reharmonization. Many times the arrangements are so elaborate that you can barely make out the melody. Not so here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s all subjective I suppose, but honestly I would not have recognised Chris’ performance from your description. He basically just played the tune with some reharmonisation. As far as I’m concerned, he captured the mood of the tune beautifully.

I’m not sure where all the ‘technically dazzling’ stuff was. There was some arpeggiation of chords, a little counterpoint at the beginning, and a boppy little phrase to end it, but generally it seemed quite restrained to me.
    ----------------------------------
    I couldn't agree more with the above post as well as the post by RobbieAG.

Thanks Chris, I enjoy your arrangements for the reason that they always incorporate the spirit and melody of the tune and are not overburdened with elaborate reharmonization.

User Info Menu

It's all subjective , so true. I only expressed my personal taste and thoughts about the subject, never meant to belittle the performance. I am a sucker for beautiful melodies and in my own interpretations I strive for a balance between (re)harmonized parts and a simple solo line, trying for a more vocal-like quality, aiming away from a more pianistic approach.
    To each his own, no offence intended. I have the utmost respect for master musicians like Mr. Whiteman.

User Info Menu

Chris,
    I agree that the Borys sounds terrific. I have been a Gibson fanboy
    for many years, but also use others, you frequently employ a AF200
    on Chord Melody videos, the "58" pickups produce a good tone, is
    yours a standard model or have you upgraded it at all ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Chris,
    I agree that the Borys sounds terrific. I have been a Gibson fanboy
    for many years, but also use others, you frequently employ a AF200
    on Chord Melody videos, the "58" pickups produce a good tone, is
    yours a standard model or have you upgraded it at all ?
    Hi Silverfoxx,

The AF200 is completely stock. I have always found the Ibanez 58 pickups to sound very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    It's all subjective , so true. I only expressed my personal taste and thoughts about the subject, never meant to belittle the performance. I am a sucker for beautiful melodies and in my own interpretations I strive for a balance between (re)harmonized parts and a simple solo line, trying for a more vocal-like quality, aiming away from a more pianistic approach.
    To each his own, no offence intended. I have the utmost respect for master musicians like Mr. Whiteman.
    Ok I think I understand you better now. I have some sympathy with your viewpoint, I think guitarists often feel they need to harmonise every note with a block chord, and often this hampers the flow of the melody. Like you I generally try to keep the melody flowing and only use enough chords to support the harmonic framework.

But I love the way Chris does it, I make an exception for him!

User Info Menu

Chris you are becoming my favorite chord melody player. The chops are great and it is such a contrast to the burning bebop we aspired to ( I know you do that well too) but it is just so listenable to my ears. Great work!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    That is beautiful, together, mature playing in every sense. It impressed me, yeah---but, moreover, it moved me. Doesn't happen that often.

Beg, steal, or borrow a way to put this out commercially---please. Don't keep it for yourself or us...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Chris you are becoming my favorite chord melody player. The chops are great and it is such a contrast to the burning bebop we aspired to ( I know you do that well too) but it is just so listenable to my ears. Great work!
    That is very kind, Thank you Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    That is beautiful, together, mature playing in every sense. It impressed me, yeah---but, moreover, it moved me. Doesn't happen that often.

Beg, steal, or borrow a way to put this out commercially---please. Don't keep it for yourself or us...
    Thank you. I plan on recording a solo record this year.....

User Info Menu

Super Nice Chris, one of my favorite tunes!

”until you’ve faced the dawn with sleepless eyes” sez it all.

cheers, JT

Very nice work Chris! I understand you offer Skype lessons?

User Info Menu

good, I mean gorgeous