The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Welcome to my 499th (damn!!) solo guitar video on YouTube, "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & the Pips. I always liked this song and although I was never a lyric person, I remember even as a young boy being intrigued, why did he have to leave? Why at midnight? Where is Georgia? Anyway, arranging this song was a serious challenge because for the life of me I can't tell you what the melody is. I would almost venture to say that there is no real melody, that is is all a soul/gospel style improvisation. Add to that the many and non repeating backup vocals and basically, good luck... Mulling a lot over this, I eventually had to let go of the idea of "transcribing" the melody and instead decided to try to do what I suppose she did when she went into the studio which is to try to express the message of the song with the tools she had and I'm just trying to do the same, hearing some of the lyrics in my head and putting them out as best I hear them, I hope this come somewhat close... Let me know what you think in the comments!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've thought of trying to play that song solo style, but you're right, there's no strict melody to that bloody tune!
    As usual, you did a fine job on it. My brother is visiting for the weekend, and i played it for him and asked him what song he thought it was. His first guess was, "I'm Easy" by Lionel Richie, but he got it on the second try!
    There should be a reception held when you record #500. I'll be glad to attend, if someone provides a fine buffet that I can freeload off for the length of the affair, as I always do on gigs.

User Info Menu

Beautiful rendition, Jake! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your choice for #500!

User Info Menu

Great job and great playing. I enjoyed it and always loved that song. It felt a wee bit up tempo for that song but that's just me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I've thought of trying to play that song solo style, but you're right, there's no strict melody to that bloody tune!
    As usual, you did a fine job on it. My brother is visiting for the weekend, and i played it for him and asked him what song he thought it was. His first guess was, "I'm Easy" by Lionel Richie, but he got it on the second try!
    There should be a reception held when you record #500. I'll be glad to attend, if someone provides a fine buffet that I can freeload off for the length of the affair, as I always do on gigs.
    Thanks very much! Here's something for your brother... ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Beautiful rendition, Jake! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your choice for #500!
    Thanks very much! Each new video recently only brings me a couple hundred views so although at one point I thought of creating an epic video such as the entire Abbey Road medley or even a full album by the Beatles or similar, I just can’t get motivated. I expect my 500 video will come and go with no special fanfare...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    Great job and great playing. I enjoyed it and always loved that song. It felt a wee bit up tempo for that song but that's just me.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that! Thank you.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    I really enjoyed that! Thank you.

Derek
    Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

I like it when you play the acoustic, sounded great man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    I like it when you play the acoustic, sounded great man.
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Reichbart
    Thanks very much! Here's something for your brother... ;-)

Hey, Jake,
    Nice R&B feel. Great vibe! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

What is the blue tape for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    What is the blue tape for?
    Pretty sure it's covering the hole where the bridge pickup once was, squashing unwanted resonance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Pretty sure it's covering the hole where the bridge pickup once was, squashing unwanted resonance.
    You are attributing way too much thoughtfulness to me, should have stopped right after "covering a hole"... ;-)

User Info Menu

That’s really great! It captures the vibe of the record with just an acoustic guitar. I love that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyheadRooster
    That’s really great! It captures the vibe of the record with just an acoustic guitar. I love that.
    Thanks!