The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Any suggestions for exceptional chord melody arrangements of Christmas songs?
    Wrong time of year i know....
    Rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobKay
    Any suggestions for exceptional chord melody arrangements of Christmas songs?
    Wrong time of year i know....
    Rob
    It's the right time of year all right, given that these can be as challenging as any other tunes to bring up to performance standards.

I have at least two of the books listed below. On this topic I have a few thoughts:
    1. Not all Christmas tunes lend themselves well to jazz guitar chord melody arrangements. Some are just too traditional and simple.

2. Tunes that were composed on a jazz footing work well (The Christmas Song, Christmas Time is Here, etc.), but there aren't really that many.

3. You can make your own arrangements or re-arrange/alter some of those listed below. That's what those arrangers did after all. It ain't illegal to alter a decent arrangement to your liking - in other words just treat it as a starting point. The arrangements are all obscure anyway, so no one will know if you've changed them. Just make it sound good and people will love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Sta...gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Jaz...6DX3WJF00HYVCX

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Car...W0RHW0905807EP

Hal Leonard's "Real Christmas Book" has great jazz changes for the traditional carols and songs, if you otherwise arrange chord melody from real books etc. Much better than reinventing the wheel for once a year needs.

It's very small for a real book , but it's money well spent if you fit in the particular niche I'm describing above.

User Info Menu

Jeff Arnold has 3 different volumes of pickstyle Christmas chord melody solos that have nice arrangements in them that you don't have to kill yourself to play!

There are also video clips of some of the arrangements.

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch has some nice arrangements.

User Info Menu

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas is a fun song to play chord-melody on.

Bing made it a hit for that reason.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch has already been recommended. I second that!

There are some more arrangements in the same style on tedgreene.com

Another forum-fellow has a book on Christmas tunes:

I like to do it myself. It is really amazing how most of the traditional (german) carols work with 1625-progressions, no matter what the original campfire chords are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17
    I like to do it myself. It is really amazing how most of the traditional (german) carols work with 1625-progressions, no matter what the original campfire chords are.
    I’m a DIY guy too, but I learned how to do it but learning a bunch of arrangements like these. I’d probably get better add it if I learned some more advanced arrangements. Tim’s video offers both an easy and more advanced arrangement of at least one tune. That seem’s like a good idea so you have the option of choosing what you think you’re ready for, and eventually learning and comparing both.

User Info Menu

Matt Warnock has some nice, clean Christmas solo guitar arrangements he sends out to his subscribers. They may be linked right on his site.

User Info Menu

This collection of 2000 pieces for solo guitar includes a number of Christmas arrangements. Some are fairly complex.

The scores are in TablEdit format. This is a notation program with a free reader for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android, that displays standard notation and/or tab, plays in midi, and has a fretboard diagram showing finger placement as the piece plays. Links are in the ReadMe file.

Enjoy,
    John R.

This is the download link:

Sync.com | Control Panel
    Last edited by jrethorst; 09-05-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarify link

User Info Menu

My repertoire at this point consists of three Christmas song instrumentals,

The Christmas Song (a la Nat Cole)

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

Let It Snow

User Info Menu

Howard Morgen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town is accessible and cool...

User Info Menu

Here's one I put up last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images