Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Does anyone tune all the strings down for fingerstyle playing, if so how far do you go down and what do you find the benefits?
    Rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've done it, it can produce a richer timbre from some instruments, plus it allows you to use heavier strings than you could handle in standard tuning. I don't think I'd try tuning down lower than C, personally.

Hopefully forum member Jim Soloway will add some thoughts, as this is totally his guitar territory.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 08-11-2019 at 10:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Very often on classical and acoustic guitars. I like 415 pitch for classical, or 392 on classical with hard-tension strings. Historically, most players seemed to tune to a lower pitch. I find I can control a more subtle vibrato with looser strings.

User Info Menu

I tune down when I play solo
    Here is a video I made on the subject a few years ago, it might give you some perspective on the subject.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    I tune down when I play solo
    Here is a video I made on the subject a few years ago, it might give you some perspective on the subject.

all the best
    Tim
    I was going to say Tim Lerch tunes down. I can’t argue with the tone he gets out of his guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim what are the humbuckers you have in that tele?
    Rob(uk)

User Info Menu

I'm surprised Jim didn't notice this thread. Here's one of his more recent videos playing tuned down to Db.

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 08-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Kenny Poole took it down to C I believe:

User Info Menu

the pickups in this Telecaster are Lollar Low Wind Imperials.

User Info Menu

In the Kenny Poole clip above he is tuned to Db but I have heard that he sometimes went lower. He sure does sound beautiful.