The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

This thread is for us to share our takes of What's New this month. This will give some of us (not me) enough time to do a couple takes. A quick write up or video on process is highly encouraged. Let's say the end date is 8/23. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    This thread is for us to share our takes of What's New this month. This will give some of us (not me) enough time to do a couple takes. A quick write up or video on process is highly encouraged. Let's say the end date is 8/23. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
    Nice. I'll be back next week. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I will try to stay on top of this well.

User Info Menu

OK, I'll break the ice ...

First, apologies for not having video. Various gremlins conspired against that, so audio is all I was able to cook up. As the thread progresses, I can maybe try again.

I've had some of the first A section worked out for a while, and this thread gave me inspiration to add some variety to fill out the rest of the form. I wasn't sure whether to do an improvised chorus, but there I was at the end of the form and just kept going.

Comments/critiques welcome

John
    Last edited by John A.; 07-26-2019 at 08:17 AM.

wow, john. those harmonies in the head are outstanding! quality musical ideas in the improv as well.

User Info Menu

I'm working on a very stripped down basic approach to the head. Hope to post today or over the weekend. Nothing fancy, just fake-book chords and melody.

User Info Menu

I'll play, I love this tune but haven't played it in ages. Gives me a kick in the butt to get it in my rep again.

I missed the boat here, we have a solo tune of the month thing going too? Cool!

User Info Menu

wow, john. those harmonies in the head are outstanding! quality musical ideas in the improv as well.
    Thanks, Joe. This is such a great tune. Looking forward to hearing others' takes.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll play, I love this tune but haven't played it in ages. Gives me a kick in the butt to get it in my rep again.

I missed the boat here, we have a solo tune of the month thing going too? Cool!
    Joe is resurrecting the chord melody study group we had going for a while a year or so ago. It'll be good to hear your contribution.

John

User Info Menu

That was really great John. And I'm really glad to see this group firing up again!

I had to go listen to this song when I first saw Joe's post. What a gorgeous tune it is.

User Info Menu

Ok, heres a take...I think I'll do a little more with it eventually.

User Info Menu

Cool arrangement, Jeff, and impressive example of keeping calm under enemy fire.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Cool arrangement, Jeff, and impressive example of keeping calm under enemy fire.

John
    Thanks John...I just noticed you posted a sound cloud, I'm gonna check it out now.

User Info Menu

As always, I keep thinking "Why didn't I think to play it that way?"

And kudos for your ability to keep playing through distraction, or rather, to keep paying attention to your children while playing.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson!

John, I really dug the relaxed pace and space, especially in the improv...great tone too...Kingpin?

User Info Menu

So here's a rough cut of mine. I was already somewhat familiar with the tune so tried to do a quick set up of it, played it over a few times, and rolled tape... er... electrons. So there are some muffs and clams, but I think the tune has a future in my repertoire once I break out of the particular set of ideas I'm stuck in here. Seems like somewhere there is a Mark Whitfield performance of this that is really good. It's bumping around in the back of my mind...

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson!

John, I really dug the relaxed pace and space, especially in the improv...great tone too...Kingpin?
    Jeff, thanks. Nope, not the Kingpin. That's my D'Angelico EX-DC, into GarageBand's SF Fender model.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    OK, I'll break the ice ...

John
    That was really nice, John. Great harmony and expressive use of rubato. If I heard that in a bar I’d definitely stick around to hear what you played next. Actually Soundcloud’s autoplay took care of that, and I wasn’t disappointed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    That was really nice, John. Great harmony and expressive use of rubato. If I heard that in a bar I’d definitely stick around to hear what you played next. Actually Soundcloud’s autoplay took care of that, and I wasn’t disappointed.
    Thanks, Kirk.

John

man this thread is starting off strong!!

i like seeing these early drafts, maybe i should do that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's a rough cut of mine. I was already somewhat familiar with the tune so tried to do a quick set up of it, played it over a few times, and rolled tape... er... electrons. So there are some muffs and clams, but I think the tune has a future in my repertoire once I break out of the particular set of ideas I'm stuck in here. Seems like somewhere there is a Mark Whitfield performance of this that is really good. It's bumping around in the back of my mind...

Good one, Lawson. I like the voicings, and the medium tempo, strummy feel.

John

User Info Menu

i like seeing these early drafts, maybe i should do that
    Jump in, the water's fine.

John

I can do rough....

At some point the audio cut on this and lost sync with video. Sorry for that ....and for the gratuitous chord-noodle practice session at the end...

This is what I can do from memory so far. For whatever reason, this one's much easier for me to memorize than others. Pretty simple form I guess...

Although it's rough, I like some of the ideas, and I'm pleased to be able to do anything on this one. I always found it hard to make work. So much space. Really nice tune though.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-29-2019 at 08:27 AM.