The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I made up these .pdf's using "Mickey Baker" chords.

The chords in his Jazz Guitar 1 Book allow you to make up pretty much any chord melody. I've done two of each in different positions on the fretboard.

Forgive any mistakes.

Enjoy! See my newer posts below for the files.

Last edited by Drumbler; 01-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Drumbler I printed off 'all the things' first position and tried it out, and I like it. Im going to have a go at the rest.
    Well done and thanks for posting these.

Glad you are taking a look.

Happy Holidays!

User Info Menu

Qhen I followed the links below all I got was the home page of Filedropper.con -Pequod

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    I made up these .pdf's using "Mickey Baker" chords.

The chords in his Jazz Guitar 1 Book allow you to make up pretty much any chord melody. I've done two of each in different positions on the fretboard.

Forgive any mistakes.

Enjoy!

http://www.filedropper.com/allthethi...re-1stposition

Free File Hosting - File Dropper: File Host for Mp3, Videos, Music, Documents.

Sorry Pequod, the links must have expired. The first one works but the others don't.

I just noticed that you can attach files to these posts so I'll try it. You learn something new everyday!
    Last edited by Drumbler; 01-05-2010 at 10:13 PM.

I was doing things the hard way! That was easy.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Drumbler; 01-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Very good work - Good chord selection....Harold

Quote Originally Posted by H. Payne
    Very good work - Good chord selection....Harold
    Thank you, Harold.

Autumn Leaves
    Last edited by Drumbler; 01-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Body and Soul in Db
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-01-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Body and Soul - key of F

User Info Menu

these look pretty darn good-- gonna try 'em out tonight!

what program are you using btw? I like to know what people use to get this stuff worked out... i have "powertab," but it's not the most intuitive program, and it's all tab centered, which most of the time i avoid (although for chord melody, it's nice to have the voicing really spelled out for you sometimes!)

Thanks! I hope you like them.

I use GuitarPro. PowerTab is good. GP has a few more bells and whistles.

I made these up with the idea of just using "Mickey Baker" chords to see how it would go.

User Info Menu

If you know all your chords in scale form then you should be able to play just about any standard with the melody and the use of the chords in the song sounding like a Chord Melody solo!

Quote Originally Posted by theproff57
    If you know all your chords in scale form then you should be able to play just about any standard with the melody and the use of the chords in the song sounding like a Chord Melody solo!
    It works fairly well. You just have to select out the notes you want and have your melody note on top. Sometimes the melody note might end up on the 3rd or 4th string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    It works fairly well. You just have to select out the notes you want and have your melody note on top. Sometimes the melody note might end up on the 3rd or 4th string.
    4th string? I don't feel obligated to keep a song in the original key. If I'm doing it fingerstyle, I aim for:

* melody on the 1st and 2nd strings.
    * shell chord notes on the 3rd and 4th strings.
    * bass line on the 5th and 6th string.

As with any "RULE", it's made to be broken, but sometimes a rule like this simplifies your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    4th string? I don't feel obligated to keep a song in the original key. If I'm doing it fingerstyle, I aim for:

* melody on the 1st and 2nd strings.
    * shell chord notes on the 3rd and 4th strings.
    * bass line on the 5th and 6th string.

As with any "RULE", it's made to be broken, but sometimes a rule like this simplifies your thinking.
    Very good. I try to play them in many different keys just as a challenge. I use drop 2 voicings a lot too. The Baker chord idea was just for fun.