User Info Menu

I've heard good things about this book, but can't find a sample page online. Anyone have it? Is it chord melody? Should I get it? (I'm an intermediate player.)

Thanks,
    John R.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrethorst View Post
    I've heard good things about this book, but can't find a sample page online. Anyone have it? Is it chord melody? Should I get it? (I'm an intermediate player.)

Thanks,
    John R.
    Yes it is a good book.,, Chord Melody with an accompanying CD
    John Stein is an associate professor at Berklee, the book is Berklee
    Press, Distributed by Hal Leonard in 2012
    Song list Dedicated to You, Duke Ellingtons " Sound of Love" I'm Glad There is You
    In a Sentimental Mood, Little Girl Blue, My Foolish Heart. My Romance,
    Out of Nowhere, Stella by Starlight, You Don't Know What love Is.

Good luck with it.

I haven't yet started on it , it looks challenging.

User Info Menu

There's a full length chord melody solo from Berklee Jazz Standards For Solo Guitar on the John Stein Page at the Chord Melody Guitar Music website.

You'll have a good idea what his arrangements are like and what level they are after watching that video.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    John Stein Page

User Info Menu

There are a number of people playing arrangements of his tunes on YouTube. One below. Some good, some ok. It is a decent book and geared toward the intermediate player. If you are just getting into solo guitar, I would heartily recommend joining Frank Vignola's channel on TrueFire. At your skill level I would also recommend the Barry Galbraith books Vol 1 and 2 . See link below and if you want to do create your own, the folks who graciously host and pay for this website have their own books.

The Easy Guide To Chord Melody And Chord Soloing

https://www.amazon.com/Barry-Galbrai...gateway&sr=8-2

User Info Menu

They are nice arrangements of good tunes, but it isn't a method book. He plays these tunes and they transcribed them. If that is what you are looking for, I can say that I enjoyed the arrangements enough to listen to the accompanying CD just to hear the recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrethorst View Post

Thanks,
    John R.
    I have this book. It is very good. It is not for beginners.
    I think that John Stein is one the most underrated Guitar players in the world today.
    His playing is intelligent and understated. His note selection is deliberate and precise.
    Nice stuff !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk