User Info Menu

You can handle it a number of ways, but you don't want to destroy the dramatic effect of the tune by changing it too much.
    The rubato first part is pretty obvious, but when it goes into tempo, playing a Db triad with the melody note on the 1st fret of the G string sounds pretty lame.
    Taking it up an octave gives you a lot of hipper alternatives, but then you have to deal with the choice of playing the last part of the melody around the 18th fret on the E string. or bringing it back to the normal range of the guitar, but destroying the dramatic effect of the climax of the tune.

This problem also presents itself in other tunes that have a wide melodic range, like a number of Bill Evans tunes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I decided to keep the melody low and just play the simple triad at that point. I think it’s better to give the melody priority over any ‘hip’ voicings.

There are other places in the tune where you can employ more ‘lush’ (!) chords, I think the listener will assume you played more ‘jazzy’ chords than you actually did.

I’m intending to do a video of this tune sometime, when I do I’ll post it here!

User Info Menu

Could you play false harmonics? I've played around with this in Stella By Starlight when you get to the B section you can play false harmonics.

e.g. over G augmented 3x344x you can play a false harmonic at the 15th(?) fret of the B string. Sounds lovely