The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Absolutely. Very good point about the syllables. I was just playing it and I was playing 'Tall and tan and young and lovely' which is not quite the same as 'Olha que coisa mais linda mais cheia de graça'. Excellent point.

Apparently Gilberto spent literally hours going over and over chords and variations, even while a show was on. He was a driven man.

There's a vid somewhere that shows how he was. I think he comes on, still fiddling with some chords as he sits down. But he seemed to mellow when he was older.

I tell you who was expert at Bossa and that was Mike McKoy, now no longer with us here. He did it all in perfect Portuguese and had the guitar down to a T. I used to go to watch him in Brighton.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've found the Gilberto one too. You wouldn't want to get him irritated on a bad night :-)

User Info Menu

I stole this,

User Info Menu

Romero's terrific. In fact, that whole site is stunning. Not just Bossa stuff, also jazz. Too much good stuff to mention. It ought to be compulsory listening :-)

UM CAFE LA EM CASA
    - YouTube

User Info Menu

Assuming you're playing the chord that coincides with the lyric "... not at he" which would be a Gb7/b5/b9, play an open Am7 then bring your third finger up onto the Gb on the 6th string. If you're finger picking (as does Joao Gilberto) you'll be picking the 2nd string (C), the third string (open G), 4th string (E), and 6th string (Gb).

The Getz/Gilberto version was recorded in Db so that Getz's would be playing in Eb on his tenor. If my assumption is correct regarding where you're Gb chord comes, then it sounds like you're a whole step down from there.

An easy way to play the Gb7b5 is to barre the 2nd fret, place your third finger on 3rd string Bb, place your 2nd finger on 5th string C, and pluck strings 3-6.

And of course,

Second finger, 6th string Gb
    Third finger, 4th string E
    Fourth finger, 3rd string Bb
    First finger, 2nd string C
    Pluck those four strings

Many more inversions and positions.
    Last edited by Uncle Vinnie; 06-02-2019 at 11:53 AM.