The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Except for "The Advancing Guitarist," Goodrick's printed materials are even harder to find than his recordings!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I missed this post, too ... these pieces are some of the most enjoyable and challenging guitar solos I've ever played. It would be so good to see a new edition published (in any format).

User Info Menu

I'm going to revive this thread and ask if there are any PDF or print versions available to purchase. Thanks and R.I.P. Mick.

User Info Menu

I have someone incorporating the corrections Mick made from the original edition. This new edition will be reprinted once the Finale files are in my hands. I'm also looking through Mick's manuscripts to see if there's anything else and new that the second printing will include.
    And a quest for anyone out there, if anybody can give me any information on Mitch Haupers, please let me know. He has the only copy of Mick's last works. He took them and never returned them. It was one of Mick's last wishes that they be returned and published.
    These projects will proceed as the estate is settled. It's one of my top priorities.
    jbromusic, please PM me.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Except for "The Advancing Guitarist," Goodrick's printed materials are even harder to find than his recordings!
    I'm hoping everything he published will be re-published in 2023. It's one of the goals of the foundation that's presently being approved as a not for profit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I have someone incorporating the corrections Mick made from the original edition. This new edition will be reprinted once the Finale files are in my hands. I'm also looking through Mick's manuscripts to see if there's anything else and new that the second printing will include.
    And a quest for anyone out there, if anybody can give me any information on Mitch Haupers, please let me know. He has the only copy of Mick's last works. He took them and never returned them. It was one of Mick's last wishes that they be returned and published.
    These projects will proceed as the estate is settled. It's one of my top priorities.
    jbromusic, please PM me.
    Thank you
    Thanks, David. I just PM'd you.

User Info Menu

Found these on the tube:

User Info Menu

Mike Bono is one of the great students of Mick's later years. One of the best players in NY who is below the radar these days.
    Mike was one of the small group of Mick's students that I met with via Skype weekly during the pandemic and we dedicated our studies and meetings to unlocking some of the secrets of the Almanacs. It was a mutually taught and studied master class whereby we'd each immerse ourselves in Mick's teachings, meet for a few hours once a week to share our revelations and then I'd hang with Mick and tell him what we were doing. He always had some dimension, hint or gem of wisdom that would launch us to next week's work.
    What a way to spend a pandemic, eh?
    You wouldn't believe what Mike came up with combining the cycles with the symmetrical diminished scale. I hope he does some kind of YouTube.

User Info Menu

I'd be interested in such a meet up David even if it's once per month to give us plenty of time to work on stuff for the next meeting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I'd be interested in such a meet up David even if it's once per month to give us plenty of time to work on stuff for the next meeting.
    Deal. I've got someone in Vienna, and we can talk as a group, I'm in the states, so we can figure out a time (zone) that works. You have FaceTime on your computer?

User Info Menu

I think that we used Zoom when we talked a few months ago.I can install Facetime if needs be.Sunday evening is probably best for me. I teach Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings. GMT. Thanks David, looking forward
    Edit: Feel free to pm any arrangements that can be made with the other guy
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 11-24-2022 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know whether the 36 pieces were composed as teaching tools or primarily as pieces of music, but those three are very beautiful.

User Info Menu

Deal. I've got someone in Vienna, and we can talk as a group, I'm in the states, so we can figure out a time (zone) that works. You have FaceTime on your computer?
    I would be interested in this as well! I was recently playing through the material in this book recently and glad to see this thread. Does anyone have a copy of the errata sheet they could share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I don't know whether the 36 pieces were composed as teaching tools or primarily as pieces of music, but those three are very beautiful.
    Mick saw these pieces as performance pieces, most of which were dedicated to someone he knew. Very personal compositions. They date back to the days when he was with Gary and span pretty much his career.
    Mick saw composition and improvisation as two sides of the same process, employing the same vocabulary, harmonic devices, melodic developments and shaping forces. Written composition has the luxury of more scrutiny to the editing process, real time improvisation has the edge of seizing the moment and following through a level of inspired creativity.
    I played duo and solo with Mick for 7 years and he'd play solo free improvisations that were simply Bach fugue-esque creations with a lyrical melodic subject. Other times he'd base a real time composition on a rhythmic permutation or motif. All these were publish-worthy. It was a master class playing and working with him.
    He had some other pieces he'd written after these. I'll have to comb through the voluminous manuscripts and notes he left me. For now, this is his written output for solo guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toddep
    I would be interested in this as well! I was recently playing through the material in this book recently and glad to see this thread. Does anyone have a copy of the errata sheet they could share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mick Goodrick's 36 solo pieces for fingerstyle guitar??-screen-shot-2022-11-24-7-54-43-pm-pngMick Goodrick's 36 solo pieces for fingerstyle guitar??-screen-shot-2022-11-24-7-55-07-pm-pngMick Goodrick's 36 solo pieces for fingerstyle guitar??-screen-shot-2022-11-24-7-54-55-pm-pngMick Goodrick's 36 solo pieces for fingerstyle guitar??-screen-shot-2022-11-24-7-54-31-pm-png

User Info Menu

I have someone incorporating the corrections Mick made from the original edition. This new edition will be reprinted once the Finale files are in my hands. I'm also looking through Mick's manuscripts… Thank you
    Hi. I would love a copy of this effort. Thank you for trying to put this together. You are a hero. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Anybody out there want to do the files on Finale or Sebelius with the corrections and I'll pay you?
    Mick wanted this new edition but the person we hired got too busy, it never was completed. It'll also come out on a more manageable 12" format.
    I'll send you the PDF if you need. The erratica are included at the end.

User Info Menu

Yep - I'd be up for doing that David - I can send you some further of examples of my work.

Kind regards
    Mick W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Wright
    Yep - I'd be up for doing that David - I can send you some further of examples of my work.

Kind regards
    Mick W.
    Hired. Thanks so much. I'll choose a painting he made as part of our appreciation in addition to the work time fee.
    Great!

User Info Menu

I've had shorter job interviews ...

User Info Menu

Thank you all for being patient with my work on the 36 pieces. I've been working with and with the deep gratitude to fellow forumer Mick Wright who's been meticulously formatting all this music into the files that will be sent to the publisher.
    I'll be publishing these along with some supplemental material, a new foreward, introductary notes and correct notation based on Mick Goodrick's errata notes post first printing.
    That will be completed this year and available for purchase as an independently published limited edition on acid free paper and in 12" format as was specified by Mick before he passed. He wanted the book to be able to sit on a book shelf easily and conveniently.

I am also pulling together the talents of players who'd like to do justice to performing these pieces for .MP4 files which will be able to be watched either on a DVD, which would have digital files of the music, or on YouTube in public domain or on the Website that will be put together along with Mick's other works.

I want the sales of the book to support the ongoing study of Mick Goodrick music and ideas, funding events, teaching seminars, private instructors and performers who could use the support of outside agency.

So this is what I'm doing with the reprints. There's also material still locked up in the legal settling of his belongings (Lots and lots of notes, musical ideas of harmony in the cryptic form of pages of numbers and letters, books and art materials...that was his life). Perhaps there'd be something that would be worth including in the new edition. I can only surmise.

Thanks for being patient. Let me know if you or anyone you know would like to contribute a performance to the video edition of these 36 pieces.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Found these on the tube:

Just stumbled across this post. These are some beautiful solos. Happy future buyer of the new edition here, if an impatient one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi skittles

Thanks for the post. I agree and it's really great to hear Mike Bono playing these again: 'Early piece No. IX' is a particular favourite of mine.

I've been meaning to post an update: I met with jimmybluenote last Thursday and the preparation is well under way. it's an amazing experience to be putting every note of these great compositions under a microscope.

I've now been through every piece several times, on paper and in Sibelius, and I'm now halfway through a closer second pass, proofreading each note entered into the score-preparation computer program. I'm looking to make something as close to the first edition as possible, with the errata incorporated and with the layout slightly improved for clarity.

Last winter, Kenji gave me a great tip about writing in fingering choices into these pieces and 'committing to them'. I've been enjoying doing this, writing my fingerings in pencil into my own copy for most of these pieces – thanks Kenji – it has really helped!

We'll still not have any fingering guidance in the new edition, since that was Mick Goodrick's intention, but please do get in touch, anytime, if you want to discuss any specific fingering options. The various pieces contain several conundrums.

There are dozens of other aspects of the pieces that I'd like to talk about, but we'll save that till the second edition is ready – it shouldn't be long now.

Kind regards
    Mick W

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Wright
    Hi skittles

Thanks for the post. I agree and it's really great to hear Mike Bono playing these again: 'Early piece No. IX' is a particular favourite of mine.

I've been meaning to post an update: I met with jimmybluenote last Thursday and the preparation is well under way. it's an amazing experience to be putting every note of these great compositions under a microscope.

I've now been through every piece several times, on paper and in Sibelius, and I'm now halfway through a closer second pass, proofreading each note entered into the score-preparation computer program. I'm looking to make something as close to the first edition as possible, with the errata incorporated and with the layout slightly improved for clarity.

Last winter, Kenji gave me a great tip about writing in fingering choices into these pieces and 'committing to them'. I've been enjoying doing this, writing my fingerings in pencil into my own copy for most of these pieces – thanks Kenji – it has really helped!

We'll still not have any fingering guidance in the new edition, since that was Mick Goodrick's intention, but please do get in touch, anytime, if you want to discuss any specific fingering options. The various pieces contain several conundrums.

There are dozens of other aspects of the pieces that I'd like to talk about, but we'll save that till the second edition is ready – it shouldn't be long now.

Kind regards
    Mick W
    Much thanks to JimmyBlueNote and Mick for this labor of love. I am looking forward to purchasing the final product.

User Info Menu

Today I found a notebook filled with pencil drawn music with sketches, earlier forms and untitled working title tunes (many of which eventually got titled in the republication). Here's something amusing. I think they either did this for Swallow's band or something. In 5.
    Have fun
    Mick Goodrick's 36 solo pieces for fingerstyle guitar??-epson021-jpg