Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Back in the early days of Guitar Player magazine Johnny Smith had a column entitled something like “How I Play It.” Does anyone remember this, and better yet, does anyone know where these might be reproduced?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember seeing some of those Johnny Smith columns in Guitar Player magazine many moons ago.

Other than buying old copies of Guitar Player, I'm not really sure how you could access those J.S. columns.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Johnny Smith Tabs - Guitar Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mje View Post
    Back in the early days of Guitar Player magazine Johnny Smith had a column entitled something like “How I Play It.” Does anyone remember this, and better yet, does anyone know where these might be reproduced?
    "Try It This Way"

I learned a lot from those.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    "Try It This Way"

I learned a lot from those.

Danny W.
    That’s it, thanks. I think I’ll write GP and suggest they publish a collection of these columns as they’ve done in the past with other columnists.

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith’s column in Guitar Player-gpjun69-7-jpg

This comes from the June 1969 issue. Found it via a Google images search. The magazine is being sold here: http://musicmansteve.com/paper/gpJun69.htm

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

I remember his arrangement of "Laura" from that column. I used it for my audition tape for Berklee.

User Info Menu

You can find them in microfilms of old GP issues. I made copies of his articles on foolproof tuning, his method of changing strings and his way of setting the intonation on guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    You can find them in microfilms of old GP issues. I made copies of his articles on foolproof tuning, his method of changing strings and his way of setting the intonation on guitars.

Those same three articles influenced the way I do it.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reminder!

I used to look at those with great awe & wonder...

now, a thousand years later, i get it!

best, JT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post
    Jerry Tubb! It's Clay Moore. How the heck are you, buddy? I'll probably be in Austin in October. Wanna play guitars? I hear that's a fun thing to do.
    Hey Clay, sounds great! of course you’re eons and light years beyond me on guitar, but why not?

Be just like old times when we’d jam, & you’d give a a few pointers ????

best, Jerry T

User Info Menu

I subscribed to guitar player magazine back in those days solely because of Johnny Smiths column...when they stopped the column, I dropped my subscription. I even wrote to Johnny Smith asking him why he stopped and he wrote back saying that he just didnt have the time to continue it...darn, I wish I still had that hand written letter ! JS was the first chord melody style guitarist I bought records of...loved his playing, still do !

I may still have a few of those magazines around here somewhere and if I do I would be glad to scan them and email them to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47 View Post
    I subscribed to guitar player magazine back in those days solely because of Johnny Smiths column...when they stopped the column, I dropped my subscription. I even wrote to Johnny Smith asking him why he stopped and he wrote back saying that he just didnt have the time to continue it...darn, I wish I still had that hand written letter ! JS was the first chord melody style guitarist I bought records of...loved his playing, still do !

I may still have a few of those magazines around here somewhere and if I do I would be glad to scan them and email them to you.
    That would be great.. or you could share those scans with the whole group here!