Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Johnny Smith’s column in Guitar Player

Back in the early days of Guitar Player magazine Johnny Smith had a column entitled something like “How I Play It.” Does anyone remember this, and better yet, does anyone know where these might be reproduced?

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember seeing some of those Johnny Smith columns in Guitar Player magazine many moons ago.

Other than buying old copies of Guitar Player, I'm not really sure how you could access those J.S. columns.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Johnny Smith Tabs - Guitar Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by mje View Post
    Back in the early days of Guitar Player magazine Johnny Smith had a column entitled something like “How I Play It.” Does anyone remember this, and better yet, does anyone know where these might be reproduced?
    "Try It This Way"

I learned a lot from those.

Danny W.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    "Try It This Way"

I learned a lot from those.

Danny W.
    That’s it, thanks. I think I’ll write GP and suggest they publish a collection of these columns as they’ve done in the past with other columnists.

Sweet

Johnny Smith’s column in Guitar Player-gpjun69-7-jpg

This comes from the June 1969 issue. Found it via a Google images search. The magazine is being sold here: http://musicmansteve.com/paper/gpJun69.htm

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

I remember his arrangement of "Laura" from that column. I used it for my audition tape for Berklee.

You can find them in microfilms of old GP issues. I made copies of his articles on foolproof tuning, his method of changing strings and his way of setting the intonation on guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    You can find them in microfilms of old GP issues. I made copies of his articles on foolproof tuning, his method of changing strings and his way of setting the intonation on guitars.

Those same three articles influenced the way I do it.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed