The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
    Hi everyone, I've arranged this beautiful Mingus tune for guitar, can you give me some advice or comment? Even about my playing.
    All information is in the video's description, thank you

Inviato dal mio ANE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's ok for my feelings,although you seem a little bit nervous when playing : You hit the strings rather loudly !
    I just don't understand a chord on bar 6,a little weird it seems
    Here is my version ;you'll notice i LOVE reverb!!

cheers
    Emil

User Info Menu

Enjoyed your chord melody solo of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat!

That's a tune that I rarely hear anyone play as a solo guitar piece.

Thanks for posting your rendition for us - very nice!

User Info Menu

A young musician who’s not afraid to play difficult tunes,congratulations !
    Hope you’ll send us others chord-melody tunes !
    Cheers
    Emil

User Info Menu

Davide, nice playing. I'll just ad that I rather like your hard attack. The actual string snapping is effective on this bluesy piece, and it sounds like you have control of it and know when it's appropriate. Dynamics are a good thing

User Info Menu

Great song, excellent choice. Good source of inspiration. I like your interpretation and the emphasis on the bass line as you approach the end and here your timing is fine.

I like that you use dynamics as part of your expression. Consider amplification, recording gear and right hand sensitivity to modulate and control the dynamic expression.

In general; when a change in finger setting takes a fraction of a second too long, the rhythm flow is interrupted. When playing solo you can modulate the tempo to maintain a rhythmic flow and you may consider rearranging those parts with priority to timing. (A single tone in time is often better than a chord off beat.). Your flow and timing is better in the second half of the arrangement.

Keep it up, I look forward to hearing more arrangements from you.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I like your use of dynamics, which I think are too often ignored by many jazz guitarists. I only have two suggestions: 1) try playing it a bit more legato and 2) try soloing on the changes -- it's definitely one of the tougher tunes to solo on.

User Info Menu

OK..it is a complicated tune but one of Monks finest

im posting this because its on of the best guitarist now or ever giving GBPPH a listen..but for guitar alone ..the Master..Jeff Beck...

His blues playing is beyond most and his technique and control is a master class in real time..dont mean to hi jack thread but share a discovery ..hope all enjoy

User Info Menu

jeff beck has always said, that he was turned on to the tune by john mclaughlins version of it

here's john "duetting" with himself..opening track from his early lp- my goals beyond

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    OK..it is a complicated tune but one of Monks finest
    Not a Monk tune. Written by Charles Mingus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    Not a Monk tune. Written by Charles Mingus.

yessss>>>>thanks,,,thinking of Round Midnight

User Info Menu

To the OP - brave you for taking on what is a very ,beautiful , subtle and delicate tune . I would break down the sections and phrases and really work on articulating and interpreting them , rather like how I imagine a classical player might approach a piece . For me it feels like you are trying to get through it without a mistake rather than interpreting the piece. Its a great very subtle tune well worth exploring IMHO.

While I have always been and still am a Beck fan - I find his version heavy handed to be honest.

Will

User Info Menu

My favorite version is the Ralph Towner/Gary Burton duet on "Matchbook." Here's Towner playing solo.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5

While I have always been and still am a Beck fan - I find his version heavy handed to be honest.

Will
    Yes, I think the same thing. Jeff Beck is an extremely dynamic guitarist, I cry every time listen "Nessun Dorma" by Puccini playing from him. But I don't like so much his version of Good bye pork pie hat (it still however playing God-like, of course)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRoberts
    My favorite version is the Ralph Towner/Gary Burton duet on "Matchbook."
    Also on his album Anthem.

Anthem (Ralph Towner album) - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRoberts
    Very nice. I like your use of dynamics, which I think are too often ignored by many jazz guitarists. I only have two suggestions: 1) try playing it a bit more legato and 2) try soloing on the changes -- it's definitely one of the tougher tunes to solo on.
    I've rec a new video for this tune (recording well) with an improvvisation and some little change in playing, and in the bass part

User Info Menu

Good job on both your versions.

Did you know that Mingus late in his life was a mentor of Joni Mitchell. Joni wrote lyrics to the song, ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davide _Ibanez
    I've rec a new video for this tune (recording well) with an improvisation and some little change in playing, and in the bass part
    Very nice...I enjoyed your version and now have embarked on trying to learn this tune.

As an aside in the new Jeff Beck documentary they display a letter from Mingus to Beck in which Mingus states he enjoyed Beck's interpretation of the tune. I think a photo of it is also in Beck's biography.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Very nice...I enjoyed your version and now have embarked on trying to learn this tune.

As an aside in the new Jeff Beck documentary they display a letter from Mingus to Beck in which Mingus states he enjoyed Beck's interpretation of the tune. I think a photo of it is also in Beck's biography.
    Me too , well played by all
    i tried it a couple years ago and found it too difficult....
    gonna give it another go now ....

thanks for for the inspiration guys !

User Info Menu

Good job by the OP.

GBPH is a very hard tune for guitarists to play and improvise solo.

This is my favorite guitar rendition of the tune from Tony McManus, a DADGAD, Celtic player: