User Info Menu

Hi there

Does anybody have information on/resources from a UK-based (now sadly deceased) player and educator named Frank Evans. An incredible player by all accounts of maintained a low profile in Bristol (a wonderful city in the South West of England)

Back in the 1990s he had a feature in Guitar Techniques magazine (again - UK) called 'The Jazz Standard' in which he did some stellar (Joe Pass style, perhaps less 'busy') arrangements of standards for solo guitar as well as, I think, a lead sheet

I have somehow lost the few that I had and I was wondering if there is anywhere to find a collection of these arrangements (ideally with Frank's recorded version). I keep hoping that there might be a book and CD available somewhere but I can't seem to find anything

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD View Post
    Hi there

Does anybody have information on/resources from a UK-based (now sadly deceased) player and educator named Frank Evans. An incredible player by all accounts of maintained a low profile in Bristol (a wonderful city in the South West of England)

Back in the 1990s he had a feature in Guitar Techniques magazine (again - UK) called 'The Jazz Standard' in which he did some stellar (Joe Pass style, perhaps less 'busy') arrangements of standards for solo guitar as well as, I think, a lead sheet

I have somehow lost the few that I had and I was wondering if there is anywhere to find a collection of these arrangements (ideally with Frank's recorded version). I keep hoping that there might be a book and CD available somewhere but I can't seem to find anything
    My first ever attempt to play solo jazz in public was one of those GT Frank Evans arrangements.

Sadly I can't tell you anything more, but thanks for the reminder.

User Info Menu

As far as I know there isn't any available book of the GT arrangements. I found a few when I tried a trial subscription to Scribd. The website had whole issue of old GT issues uploaded. If you want to find which issues contain which songs go to the web link below.

Guitar Magazines - Song Index

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    My first ever attempt to play solo jazz in public was one of those GT Frank Evans arrangements.

Sadly I can't tell you anything more, but thanks for the reminder.
    Thank you for sharing that!

These arrangements also mean a great deal to me. I remember being about 13 or 14 - pretty much a 'rock' kid - and buying a copy of GT (I think because it had Nirvana AND Dream Theater in it). Frank's arrangement of Manha de Carnival was in it. The first time I had ever really heard jazz guitar and it is fair to say that it changed everything for me. From that moment on, I was all about and only about jazz guitar

Thanks so much!